My "check engine" light appeared on my dash so I decided to bring it in to Pep Boys. I told the service manager that my engine light is on and he tells me its $102 just to look at it.

I said ok. After getting an $1800 quote for a tune up and coil replacement (ended up getting it fixed for $600 somewhere else) I proceeded to leave. I noticed a huge sign on my way out that says "FREE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DIAGNOSTIC". I went back and asked the Service Manager for a refund and pointed out the sign.

Of course, he stated that we did a DIFFERENT diagnostic than the one advertised for free.

Thankfully I put the charge on my AMEX and I got the money back.. Stay away from these shady people.

Comments

#442022

Hey wah wah, my welfare check doesn't cover the diagnostic. It covers all the action I get with your wife though.

WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER BEEN TO GET SOMETHING FOR MY CAR. THIS FEMALE WHO LOOKED LIKE A BUTCH ASKED ME THE SAME QUESTION ABOUT MY CAR 4 TIMES WHILE SMERKING!

I TOLD HER WHAT I THOUGHT OF HER & TALKED TO THE MANAGER WHO WAS A 7FT DRUNKIN LOOKING JACK*** WHO BEGAN TO BLAME ME WHEN HE WASNT EVEN THERE. I TOLD EM BOTH WHERE TO GO & WENT TO THE OTHER PEP BOYS MUCH BETTER!! AND AFTER I TOLD EM WHAT I THOUGHT OFF I WENT THANK GOD! WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER BEEN TO GET SOMETHING FOR MY CAR.

THIS FEMALE WHO LOOKED LIKE A BUTCH ASKED ME THE SAME QUESTION ABOUT MY CAR 4 TIMES WHILE SMERKING! I TOLD HER WHAT I THOUGHT OF HER & TALKED TO THE MANAGER WHO WAS A 7FT DRUNKIN LOOKING JACK*** WHO BEGAN TO BLAME ME WHEN HE WASNT EVEN THERE.

Was your welfare check not enough to pay for the services? Maybe you should trade in your 1987 Buick for a new car :grin

You paid for the evaluation to find out exactly what part of the car failed. They even told you what needed to be replaced and gave you a quote to do the repairs.

The code pulling is nothing more than plugging in a device in order to retrieve the code set by the engine computer.

Unfortunantly, Pep Boys offers a free "code pull" for the people who want to try and figure it out themselves. Pep Boys probably does this in hopes that the customer will purchase a part from the store and attempt to fix it themselves (and probably fail.)

#292031

So if 85% of people don't know *** about cars, perhaps it should be explained a little bit better. Please don't defend a company's "bait and switch" operation.

the free engine light check is just for pulling codes to see what is causing it to turn on. depending on the code an additional hands on full system diag may be needed to find the problem.85% of these complaints are of people that don't know *** about cars so if they end up in a situation were they are have to pay more then they wanted they all of a sudden cry out SCAM!!!

Well i know for a fact that you probly had a engine diagnostic done and there is a big difference between a ED (engine diagnostic) and a code pull. so what you got charged for was a ED. which takes about an hour to where a code pull takes about 5 mins at the most.