Hartford, Connecticut

The man who took my information called me about an hour later to tell me that I needed 2 new tires, front brakes/pads, front and rear struts, an oil change (my oil was changed 2 weeks ago) and a "few other maintenance items.". The total estimate came to over $1700.

I retrieved my car immediately and drove 55 miles to my former mechanic, who unfortunately has moved out of my town. He showed me 1.a nail in one tire, but said the others were fine, 2.said that my brakes were ok, 3.told me that my struts would most likely last for the life of my car and 4.said, "I see you've just had your oil changed.". He fixed the flat, removed corrosion from the battery terminals and replaced the serpentine belt, which was dried out and cracked. Total bill?

$159.67. I should have known enough to avoid Pep Boys since they had just recently tried to rip off my best friend, but you can be sure I'll never, ever set foot in one of their establishments again...not even for an air freshened.

Product or Service Mentioned: Pep Boys Oil Change.

Comments

wr400f250
Los Angeles, California, United States #709075

Rule #1 when dealing with Pep Boys: don't let them touch ANYTHING other than what you brought the car in for.