3.6K views

Pep Boys service advisors are being pressured to ripp customers off for upper management. This place is pure evil.

We are constanly pressured to seel alignments and the mechanics are forced to performed alignments on cars that have worn suspension parts-if the customer complains it easy to do a refund-as long as the sale was made its goes on record as 1 alignment sold and upper management is happy. Advisors are being to sell brakes packages that includes services the customer may not need or be interested in.

Beware of the proline oil filters-many are defective and Pep Boys choose to ignore the problem. The free oil change with 2 tire purchase is using recycled oil-not a major name brand.

Comments

Still employed with pepboys , this is true. Had several incidents between customers and some advisors do to the rip off, but as an employee we can still make a difference and gain the customers trust even if we have to defy the pep system. Employees like us have a short life span at Pepboys.

Prattville, Alabama, United States #865328

I've had the exact same issue at my store. Underpaid and forced to replace peoples parts that aren't needed.

As well as alignments on vehicles with bad suspension parts.

Richardson, Texas, United States #835836

Nothing but a bunch of lies, from an ex employee who was fired for not doing their job

to jojo #1223188

Pep Boys sucks

Working for Pepboys is ok but the pay for a really good mechanic that above the level of there so call master tech and training there other tech and fixing on all there come back from there master tech . But when you ask for more money they throw Ase In you face in you face to keep from paying you what you or worth to them I guess you make them money so they don't care about your money I think a good mechanic is a good mechanic paper or no papers it what it is ...

Noone ever has to lie to anyone. There are no such "quotas" as some of you have put it. Are there daily sales and service goals? Absolutely. In that respect, name a corporately owned company or auto service franchise for that matter (automotive retailer or service provider/repair facility) that does NOT set goals for their management team and the employees. Don't worry, I'll wait...

Every single place from mom & pops facilities to dealerships (some of the smaller ones don't have such goals, but are rather set by the individuals who actually want to go somewhere with the company, or in their own personal life) have some sort of goals for different items or services. Most of you posting here are full of ***. I've lied before, and I've done things to my customer's vehicles (most of which I did when I was a mechanic, and in my younger years) that I NEVER should have done. I also learned from those things and realized that we always have a choice. I don't have to lie to a single customer. I won't go into detail about how I sell service, then all you dependent people out there will start leeching and following. Be an individual, and find your own way to do what you have to do to sell service, but make sure you stay true to your character and what's right. It's not easy if you were once a piece of *** like myself, but it CAN be done.

In the previous quarter, I was the #2 service advisor in an area of 127 advisors/asst. managers, and since acheiving that spot in the rankings, I have not lied to a single customer nor have I pushed them into an uncomfortable position. If they're uncomfortable, it's due to the customer's neglect of basic maintenance and service of their vehicle over time, and not due to any sales "tactics."

Tell it like it is and let the rest fall into place. Stop trying to control everything and you'll feel alot better about what you do and in turn, you'll stop worrying about who you work for, but rather what you work for.

Pep boys upper management are stinking rotton crooks, hope they get caught sooner than later :(

I'm a driver. Yes, they have quotas.

Upper management protect their own, and when hours get cut, the peons are the first to suffer. Oh, by the way, the part-timers are losing their medical insurance by January 2014.

This from human resources mouth, "it doesn't meet the minimums set by the government". WTH

Whitehall, Pennsylvania, United States #747227

Pep boys is a terrible place to work. I have been with the company 7 years and it just constantly gets worse.

Working flat rate, I spend 55-60 hours a week at this place and only make 30 some hours. They make you punch out at 40 hours and stay late all the time to finish jobs which they promised the customers would be done. Also if you try to eat lunch they shove work orders in your face and say it has to be done now,it's a waiter! All the service writers are young kids who feed all the good work to their buddies, and pay them for jobs that I do.

Labor has been cut on so many jobs that a tech has to work twice as hard to break even. As the only experienced mechanic I spend most of my time fixing other peoples comebacks, lending out tools, and holding hands of morons.

I have told these problems to management up to district level and they just don't care. I only wish this company would change but I am afraid it never will.

to Gordy #975143

Im a csa and told need to sell n if not my work order I dont get commission ..when others cant be found or hands in pockets ..dont seem fair just because u take a call on the phone u own that work order ....

i have remained silent for as long as i can. I worked for pep boys for 4 years.

as a mechanic and an adviser. beware of them if you think you can work there and get any kind of appreciation for all the hard work you do. I was trained and promised a assist service manager position for 3 years. I was passed up by 5 different people who were all fired for lack of knowledge.

My 1st year as a service adviser i made the company 1 million dollars in profit for my sales and got *** for it. i went back out into the shop only to be controlled by a racist new service manager. no joke, he fired 2 puerto rican mechs and 2 black mechs for their skin color. he said so!

my entire store opened a HR case on him and they did nothing. the worse thing he and out General manager did was screw the nicest man i know out of his retirement because he took leave because he had cancer. he died last month without his 401k. the upper management of the company cares only of profit.

not the employees who make the money for them. now ask yourself. do you really want to take your car there? I know i dont.

I am white and I strongly believe this service manager was an extreme racist. and guess what??? they promoted him to a store in central florida. hmmmmm I tell you.

walk into any pep boys shop and ask an Installer how much money he makes..

I guarantee you his answer will be.." I dont make any f-ing money" $7.15 an hour Mcdonalds pays more.

to roush #854675

Everything you said is true Roush,

My best amigo died recently after being fired for what they called poor performance, he worked for these crooks for twenty years, rest in peace Francisco, you deserved so much better.

Well I know that where I work they do some shady ***. Put people on other people's account, they stay giving them the wrong price on the phone, and the wrong parts when they come in.

Also, they charge people for work they didn't even get and refused their coupons. Then, when the person comes back, pissed they don't even want do to the return. They have a whole bunch of snot nosed brats that don't know what they are doing. People keep coming back with more problems on their cars than ever before.

Their solution to the problem is to tell them to go to the dealership because they don't have the knowledge to fix it.

I AGREE WITH THIS PERSON FULLY!!! AT LEAST SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH!

AT OUR STORE, THERE IS ALSO A QUOTA FOR ALIGNMENTS THAT NEED TO BE MET, AND I VERIFIED THIS WITH MY AREA HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR. OUR STORE WILL SELL ALIGNMENTS TO CUSTOMERS WITHOUT EVEN PERFORMING THE WORK! JUST TO MEET QUOTA!

ALTHOUGH THERE ARE WAAAY MORE INTERNAL STORE PROBLEMS WITH HARASSMENT, DISCRIMINATION, AND RETALIATION.

IT SEEMS LIKE EVEN MY AREA HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR IS IN ON IT, TRYING TO PUSH ME OUT THE DOOR SO I SHUT UP. NOT GONNA HAPPEN BUCKO!

to anonymous pep employee #725017

They all cover each other ***. One of my managers disrespected me in a way I've never been disrespected before.

When I told him I was going to report him he threatened my life. I told my store manager and just ignored me. I asked for HR information and gave me bogus information.

Finally got the Area Director contact info from somewhere else cause I knew my manager wasn't going to help me and sent him and email and I'm still waiting for a reply. They all cover their ***.

U clowns need to stop lying the only thing pep boys really says to push is the maintenance like trans flush 3 step etc nothing wrong with that stuff like that helps ya car keep running and stop saying they are suppose to rip people off every store is different I am a service writer at my 3rd store and each one was different and if u think cars dnt need alignments when they get tires u need to do some research or find a new profession

to josh Raleigh, North Carolina, United States #706033

This is a bold faced lie anyone who was worked at pepboys knows that there is a quota on all service items they don't care if a customer needs it or not they want it sold this is the major reason that I left Pepboys and know I am a much happier person not having tolie to people all the time.

to josh Centerville, Iowa, United States #740684

Josh you can sell the parts I am a tech just cuz you got tiresdoesn't mean you need an alignment. My store has so many problems internal and external it would make your head spin.

Corp tells you to do one thing the boss tells you to do another either way someone is getting ripped off. The service writer's cant even a sine the work to the right tec so its a *** shoot every day. Pepboys sucks and after I get a new job ill never go back. There is a 10 to 100% mark up price for the parts to go from the parts desk to the shop if you tell me thats not a rip off you need to go back to preschool.

A customer came back in because pepboys charged him twice the price for struts that came from a store less then a mile down the roa.

The problem with it is its a corporation. They see$$$$$$$$ everything is ok.

pepboys is a joke, having worked there for years, they shafted their workers this year by not matching their 401k's. they said they didnt make enough proffit..

they didnt have a problem buying up all those small companies last year to expand, to still make a proffit at the end of the year.

and before the fiscal year was over for them, they knew they were selling out..Pep Boys Manny Moe & Jack will be bought out for $804 million, excluding debt, by investment firm The Gores Group. so keep shafting your employees, and customers and see where you end up..

I've work at many different place it's a way of making a living we rip doctor/lawyer/construction/ etc. and you know what they ripping us off too. It's a dog eat dog world that's how I see it