Terrible Service at Pep Boys

I took my Dodge Durango to Pep Boys on May 6th.The store location is 902 N.

Imperial Ave. in El Centro, Ca, phone number (760)353-8565. I started with the Service Department employee "Marcos" and explained that the temperature gauge rose a little. The next day Pep Boys [Marcos] called us and informed us that we needed a new radiator which would cost $1200.00; this price would be after discounts.

I was upset but, my husband gave it the okay. The following week Pep Boys [Marcos] called us again, informing us that some water had leaked into the motor heads and the price increased to $2600.00 but again, he gave us discounts which resulted in a final price of $2100.00 We were aggravated with the price but they said they had send the motor heads to Los Angeles, CA. Marcos promised it would take 1 1/2 to 2 weeks at the most. He never called us back.

I called 1 1/2 weeks later to find out if my car was ready and they informed me that they had called my husband letting him know that now the valves were bent [This is false, they never called my husband]. After that I was furious because now I felt they were lying to us. I am very upset. My husband has a car but he uses it for work, so I was basically car-less for the entire time the car was in the shop.

According to Pep Boys [Marcos] they were to receive the valves on May 23rd and were being fixed locally which would take approximately 1 day. I called the morning of the 24th and Marcos had said the valves were in but it would take 4 hours for each head. On May 25th, I called the Store Manager, Tommy, with my frustrations and concerns and it felt like the Twilight Zone. No work had been completed even though the so-called Manager promised he would look personally into the matter.

On May 26th, Pep Boys started sending pictures of the engine to my cellphone. I replied asking when my car would be available to pick up. FINALLY, 3 weeks after dropping off the car to the shop, they said it would be ready at 7:45 PM on May 27. To my disappointment, the car has started to make a loud noise and it even shuts down suddenly while running.

Today is Memorial day and it has destroyed all our plans of going anywhere. I am speechless with a car that is in worse condition than when I brought it in. Prior to taking my car into the shop, on May 6th, I was driving my car with no noise and no problems, just the temperature gauge a little high. I wish PEP BOYS would have told me they don't have the man power or the ability to fix my car.

I could have just gotten a new car!!!!!!!!!! NEVER AGAIN TAKING MY CARS TO PEP BOYS. Not only was the service bad, but the employees were dishonest and they were short-staffed. MANAGEMENT IS A JOKE.

Right now I have my car but I'm afraid to use it. I am afraid that I will take the freeway and it will stop running and I'll cause an accident. If I take the car to exchange for a new one, they are bound to hear the horrible noise and will probably offer me nothing for it. On Tuesday, May 31st, I plan on taking my car back to PEP BOYS to give them another chance to fix it correctly.

Without their promise to redeem themselves in a timely manner, I do not plan to leave my car at the shop!

This situation has been so stressful, I'm even thinking of getting legal advice!Now, I'm out about $2300 and without a car.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

• Pricing

Reason of review:
Bad quality
Preferred solution:
Deliver product or service ordered
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Dodge Durange Radiator Heads Valves
Review category
Service Centers and Repairs
review #856799 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Pep Boys? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 10 #1171158

wow and it was most likely a 20 dollar thermostat that a normal mechanic would charge 20 bucks to change

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Pep Boys. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Pep Boys.
Filing a new complaint about