I took my 2002 VW Cabrio in to Pep Boys in San Antonio to see if the mechanics could determine why the coolant light was flashing on the dashboard. I was told the ENTIRE coolant hose system was routed incorrectly and had to be totally redone. Hmmmm .... I've driven this car for 4 years, taken it to multiple VW mechanics for oil changes, tune ups etc and NO ONE had ever mentioned that .... strange.

Against my better judgement my husband told them to go ahead and do whatever they needed to. Oh and then we were told there was a 50/50 chance of engine damage but they wouldn't know that until the hoses were fixed. Really? Don't they have computers to run diagnostics on that kind of thing? I know nothing about cars but I'm not ***.

4 days later I go to pick up my car, start it up and the freaking coolant light is flashing. We went back inside and were assured the car ran fine during a test drive but that we could bring it back the next day when the mechanic who worked on it was available.

The *** thing was smoking by the time we got home and we live less than 10 minutes away. Coolant reservoir was empty.

Next day my husband *** work early, we fill up the car with coolant and make it about 1/2 block before the temperature gauge goes as far to the overheated side as it can get. So back home.

Checked the coolant ..... empty. Waited until about 8:00 p.m. when the outside temperature dropped, filled up the coolant and with fingers crossed drove back to PepBoys. Oh .... and the heater doesn't work now either .... go figure.

Now we are being told the problem is a coolant component that goes on top of the engine needs replacing ....

I'm so furious right now. I have two teenage boys that are very busy. My husband works full time at Randolph Air force Base (can't wait to spread this horror story around the base) AND teaches at a university. We don't have the luxury of spending this kind of money or the time to be without a vehicle.

I'm sure the mechanics are great at changing oil and tires but for GOD sake they should not even PRETEND to know anything about foreign cars.

Right now I just want my car back so I can take it somewhere knowledgeable who can explain to me exactly what these idiots screwed up. Then I'm writing the Texas Attorney General about this fiasco.

Product or Service Mentioned: Pep Boys Oil Change.

Comments

i wish the automotive industry took licenses away as easy as other industry do. Its not right what these jerks do and this is why we cant trust mechanics who have the nerve to charge $$$ per hour.