I took my car into PepBoys of Athens, Alabama last December (2014) to get a timing belt job done on my 1997 Honda Civic. Everything seemed well until this last week.
I was driving home from a trip about an hour and a half away on 5/15/2015 when my check engine light came on. When I got home I looked in my engine bay and the crank position sensor wire was rubbing on my timing belt. I felt of the wire and the timing belt had rubbed through the wire leaving two bare wires shorting out against each other. I got up the next morning 5/16/2015 to take my car back to PepBoys and had a strange noise coming from the engine. I figured it was a problem with the sensor and the guys at PepBoys said that it was covered under warranty.
I went back to pick my car up 5/18/2015 and it was still making the noise but the sensor had been replaced. I took it right back and they worked on it for another day. When I went back to the shop on 5/19/2015 they said that the A/C compressor bearing had gone bad and that it was causing the noise. They quoted me $1200 to fix the A/C issues. I told them that I believed it was due to the sensor issue initially and the Assistant Manager, Richard, shrugged it off. He said that it was purely coincidence that those two issues happened at the same time. I told them to leave the A/C belt off as to not damage the engine further. The manager, Scott, was not there so I took the car home to deal with it later.
I got up this morning 5/20/2015 to drive the car to work. On the way home from work I was going about 70mph and heard something come loose in the engine bay. When this happened my engine began making bad noises. I made it home and looked in the engine bay. What I saw was the A/C idler pulley lodged against my drive belt and drive pulley. The mechanic had left this pulley loose in the engine bay and it was grinding against the belt and pulley in the car. This could have been a lot worse and myself or my wife could have been involved in a breakdown or accident due to this mistake.
I would like this situation to be made right and I plan to speak with Scott when I am off work and he is in the shop. I do not believe that the A/C issue is a coincidence and I am disappointed in the shoddy work that has been done on my car.
If there is anything that the corporate or local office could do, it would be greatly appreciated.
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Quality of work
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Preferred solution:
- Deliver product or service ordered
- Product or service
- Timing Belt Replacement
- Review category
- Service Centers and Repairs
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "We purchased a bumper for our car. Macco was to paint it. They charged us $15 extra for buying our own parts. When we went to pick..."
- "I took a flat tire for repair to the Big O Tire franchise in Sedona, Arizona on Oct. 15, 2014. I was instructed to park my F-250 Ford truck at..."
- "Dropped a 95 Honda Accord of at around noon on 5/11/2012. Wanted the car checked for possible catalytic converter replacement. Asked for a call when diagnosis was done...."
- "I am posting as a florist that received an order from your establishment. You sent us an order for a total of $49.97 when in fact you charged the customer..."
- "Called Bucks pizza in Hazel Green Al. Ordered items featured in pic below. When I received the order, not only was the order 1 hr late but the diet coke..."
- "When the owner of a company you believe to be reputable tells you "you can buy a cheap paint job from someone else or you can pay me and your..."
- "We have two pieces of 30" Samsonite spinner luggage in the fall of 2010. This luggage has been fantastic. I could not tell you how many trips they have been..."
- "Power Places Tours took the deposit money from someone called Jeanette Maw of the Goodvibes website. They tried to slap on an extra surcharge and when she decided to cancel,..."
- "So I've had State Farm for 32 years. My daughter turned 16 about a year ago and we put her on our insurance. Her insurance rate was nearly 5x..."