Pep Boys - PEPBOYS called me a liar.

684 of 1292 Pep Boys reviews

I purchased a Bosch car battery with a 36 month free replacement in 01/2009.When I purchaed the battery at the PEPBOYS in Salem, NH, they did a Prostart Complete starting system test and said it was all was OK.

After a short period of time after I purchased the battery the car would not start if unused for 2 weeks or longer. I would have to use a battery charger to charage the battery each time I used the car if it sat for longer than 2 weeks. This got to be annoying so In 10/2011 (withing the 3 yr replacement) I brought the car to PEPBOYS for a new battery. I was told the problem was not the battery, and it was common that a vehicle would not start after sittiling idle for 2 weeks.

I was charged $16.18 for a "Prostart Starting/Charging system test) that did not show any problem with the car's charging system. They said the problem was not the battery and they would not replace it. I never had this problem before I got the Bosch battery and now it looses its charge and will not start if the car sits longer than two weeks. I was basically called a LIAR by the service representative.

I have never experienced a case in my 50 years of owning a vehicle that a vehicle with a "good" battery would not start if sitting for 2 weeks. I have left vehicles for months that would start when needed. Prior to the new Bosch battery the vehicle always started, even if left for extended period of time.

I know the vehicle and I know its the battery and not the vehicle.Roger Duhamel, Salem, NH.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 16 Yes 16 20 No 20
Had the same issue 33 Yes 33
684 of 1292 Pep Boys reviews

Jan 14 #1270704 San Antonio, Texas, United States

I also got a bosch premium battery at pepboys 2 years ago, and it is almost dead. I was wondering how its 3-year replacement warranty works, and googled to find this article.
well.. maybe it is normal for bosch premium battery to last only 2 years.. then what's the 3-year warranty for?!

Mar 16, 2016 #1128570

I am having the same issue. Replaced battery with a Bosch in Sept '15. All was good till month ago. Car wouldn't start. Jump started and went back to Pep Boys. They tested and said battery was bad and replaced it, no charge. Had to go out of town on business and the car sat for 10 days. Would not start. Back to Pep boys again. They said battery was good but low charge. They tested alternator and checked for parasitic draw which both were OK. Told me to disconnect the battery if I am not using the car for over a week.
Total JUNK!

BAN BOSCH CAR BATTERY

Jan 15, 2016 #1095049

God it's so true.. your story is very similar to mine. The vehicles that are not getting started every day is loosing the power to supply the enough charge to starter, especially in cold day this problem gets worse. I got my bosch premium batteries replaced two times already. Since it was under warranty they replaced it free of charge. But, these batteries are TYPICAL CHINESE, they are meant not to last.

Nov 18, 2015 #1065519

My car is a 2004 BMW. Battery is a 4 year old Exide. It sits from December until March every year, no charger and starts perfectly. No modern car should have any problem starting even if sitting for a couple months on a good battery unless there is something wrong with the car. I'd return every battery until I got one that worked as expected or get a refund and buy another brand.

Apr 23, 2015 #975684

Went through 3 Bosch batteries same problem luckily 3yr warranty every time the car sat for a few weeks I had to charge it. Finally forth battery is a charm no problems since...always looking fpr a warranty from now on though

Jan 06, 2015 #926539 Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States

I agree with Bob. I work at AutoZone and a lot of the times it is not the battery's fault. It all depends on what car you have it in, where you live, and the car's condition.

bob

Apr 14, 2014 #804928

Roger, I hope your new battery solved the problem, but it could be your car. Years ago when you turned your car off, it was off. but now there is a constant drain on the batteries. Computer, radio memory,alarm systems etc. If when ign. off you connect battery and there is a spark, something is drawing a current. This could be the problem.

4 3 Reply
annonymous

Dec 01, 2013 #750936

I will never use pepboys again. I brought my car there to check the battery because i noticed the lights flicker when i turned it on. They replaced the battery. I drove 10 min down the road ran into a store and when i came out a 1/2hr later the car was dead! All the mechanics looked miserable, moved like snails and even worse was when one of the mechanics came out of a charger and i realized he was the *** flying down the road and almost hit the car in front of me on the highway as he was speeding and weaving between cars in traffic.

3 0 Reply
Luve2Spooge

Jul 24, 2013 #686574

This is how battery-powered vehicles work. You think that is bad? My motorcycle would not be able to start if I let it sit for more than 6 days. Now it obviously depends on the quality of the car. My neighbor's Mercedes can sit for about a month without dying, but 2 weeks is the absolute maximum for my truck (less than that if in very cold weather). Try learning something about cars before calling someone a scammer, you dumb ***.

4 6 Reply

Dec 09, 2015 #1076153

My friend. I can assure based on what you just wrote. You are the most uninformed, uneducated person to post. If your truck won't start after 2 weeks of sitting, your batteries @! $/ or your truck is s#$#. I have an sl mercedes I can start after a year of sitting. Probably because I know what to buy and how to care for it. You love to clown on people who are obviously smarter then you. Go drive your truck lest it die...it's been almost 2 weeks.

1 1 Reply
Jimmy W

Aug 25, 2012 #533779

The problem is with Bosch batteries, period!
My Pep Boys location here in Tempe, AZ has been very cooperative in replacing mine in two vehicles. The first failed Bosch was manufacture dated July, 2012, and failed suddenly after the vehicle was sitting for about two weeks, even though I was starting it up an running the engine for 5-10 minutes every day. I am now on the fourth battery for the same vehicle, if you include the brand new one that failed directly off the shelf in the store. When the battery in my second vehicle died, it tested bad in the store, even after using two different testers, and the next two off the shelf were also bad. To cut my losses, I went with a Prostart 2 yr warranted battery, for which the store issued me a credit for the price difference. It is worth noting both vehicles were electrically tested by an independent specialist, and passed all tests. In both cases the batteries failed after as little as one day of inactivity. Bosch is generally a most reliable company, and this problem seems to be focused on quality issues with the plant in Mexico where they are manufactured.

4 0 Reply
Billy Jean

Dec 26, 2011 #397822

was the guy's name Butch? he is the service manager there...he's a real winner

0 0 Reply
Who are you trying to fool ?

Dec 24, 2011 #396709

So......you've been jumping your car for almost 3 years and now decide to replace battery? Bullsh#t! The warranty is about to expire and your trying to get a new one for free. Pepboys saw you coming scammer boy.

3 5 Reply
So sad

Dec 23, 2011 #396358

Of course cars are going to have problems starting if not started for several weeks or more. That is why it is recommended to regularly start your car.

sounds like a drain

Dec 23, 2011 #396281

it may not be the battery, you need to check your current draw while the car is off, if you have a short in a device which is leaving something turned on then NO battery will fix it.
pull your battery cable and put an amp meter in series with the wire while the car is off, if you see any current being drawn even 100ma its enough to drain your battery over time.

some cars are actually designed to have a small drain due to the security system but no more than about 100MA.

we had a short in the solid state relay that runs the ignition system on our vehicle (ford explorer) that was pulling 500ma which killed the battery in 4 days.

2 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.