Williamstown, New Jersey

I've used Big Ten Tires for over 20 years. They've always proved to be honest.Then, unfortunately, they were bought and taken over by Pep Boys...what a downward spiral.

My wife was on her way home from work on Wednesday when something under the hood sort of just blew up, coolant everywhere, so being near the Pepboys (our former Big Ten) that we use on S. Alafaya Trail in Orlando, she pulls into the parking lot. Now keep in mind these guys see us several times a year and have worked on our vehicles at that store since it opened about ten years ago. The guy tells her it could be a radiater hose, but of course he's not sure.

The next day he calls me and tells me the radiator itself has a large hole in it and needs replacing, as well as both upper & lower radiator hoses because they are getting "soft" he said. He also said I had a leaking Cam Sensor so it should be replaced also. Total cost: $1250.00+ I ask him how much of that price is for the radiator alone: he says $805.00 before tax. So I called another garage I know, The mechanic there gives me a radiator only estimate over the phone of $399.00 installed, out the door.

Obviously I take the car to his garage, he does his checks, calls me today and says: "The radiator is not leaking at all, it's fine. It's the thermostat." He calls me back again after changing the thermostat and says all is fine and the total for that is $169.00. He says the radiator hoses look fine to him and he cannot find a leak in either Cam Sensor. We picked up the car today, running like a dream.

The moral here is DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TAKE YOUR VEHICLE TO PEPBOYS TO BE WORKED ON, EVER!!

They will, without a doubt, steal as much money from you as they possibly can. My guess is that they work on commision and that's why they do it and I would bet money that the company encourages this type of business practice.

Comments

Hi Robby,

Well, I don't understand one thing, if you've sold auto parts for years then you should know it is ALWAYS, ultimately, the company's responsibility for anything, business wise, that takes place in their stores. Always.

That's precisely the reason that after I contacted the BBB about my situation, the Pep boys regional manager called me, refunded my money for the diagnosis (about $40.00), apologized profusely and tried like *** to get me back as a customer, which will not happen.

The company is responsible for everyone that works in their stores, including crooked mechanics and store managers. Thanks for commenting.

I totally see what your saying about them trying to get one over on you but I don't see how Pepboys is to blame here. *** mechanics are everywhere and all business markets are overly competitive.

That goes with the times. Now as for his diagnostic, that's just lazy. Ive sold auto parts for years and love to see my competition get slammed but in this situation, which Ive seen time and time again out of many shops, including Big 10, I would have to say its always best to shop around, which you did. Never trust a shop or mechanics in this time.

Or your butcher on that note. Thats a story for a different column though.

John Boy I'm not even sure what that means but I can assure you we have never complained about a thing when the store was Big Ten. That's why we went there for many years, because they were great.

This was the first time we had gone to that store since pepboys had taken it over. So your theory that we were constant complainers is far from correct.

Paulette11

Wow, I would report them to your state's Attorney General - consumer compliants department. The were definelty trying to rip you off. If they tried this with you just think about how many victims paid the excessive prices?

Report them!

Thanks for posting...I'll say clear of P-Boys,

Steve

SOMETIMES IF YOU LOOK LIKE A *** OR YOU'RE A KNOWN COMPLAINER, THEY'LL JACK THE PRICE UP ON PURPOSE SO YOU CAN SAY NO AND GET YOUR *** OUT THE DOOR.