Willingboro, New Jersey
8.5K views 53 comments

I had purchased Pep Boys Definity EX600 tires. After 17,000 miles, the outer belt of the driver side front tire came apart while traveling on I-15 in CA towards Las Vegas. Fortunately I was going under the spped limit on a Camry and I was able to control the car and avoid a major accident.

The car was declared totalled by the insurance company appraiser.

Now Pep Boys claims it's not responsible because they did not make the tires and Copper Tires (the tire manufacturer) blames Pep Boys who did not advise me of a Recall on these tires, even when I took the car to have the tires rotated...where else? to Pep Boys!!!

Review about: Definity Ex600.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Pep Boys?

Comments

Jeannie Mason
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States #1330490

Do Not Buy These Tires

Purchased brand new set of 4 Definity HP 800 tires in 2015 and currently they have little over 20,000 miles on them.

Worst tires I've ever purchased.Don't even think about stopping in semi-bad weather.

I've even slipped off the road in rain.

They are now bald with just 22,000 miles on them.

Yes I take care of my vehicle and have had them rotated and yes I drive normal (for a 50 yr old woman)

Buyer Beware!

Miami, Florida, United States #1059561

Two blowout in 4000 miles. Don't buy it

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #945772

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THE DEFINITY TIRES COMING APART ON THE ROAD ?? I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN ON THE DRIVERS SIDE ALSO WHO DO I CONTACT ABOUT THIS ?

bill

Don't buy the cheapest tires you can find

Like It Is
to bill Houston, Texas, United States #945916

Hey Moneybags, usually when people buy the cheapest, that's what they can afford.

Brian in COS

I've had Defintity tires from Pep Boy's on my F-150 and Ranger going on 4 years now. no real problems so far. I agree with one of the other posts saying if theres an issue with your vehicle, any tire no matter how much you paid for it will malfunction.

Matt Foley

I had a similar experience with Pep Boy tires.4 days after having all new tires put on, the left rear tire came off the rim--not a blowout--it just came off.

Fortunately, it happened just 5 minutes before I got on 95 South, and I was only doing 5 mph coming out of my driveway when it occured. Another 5 minutes and I would have been dead meat in the gulley, upside down.

What get's me is when I was towed in to get it replaced, the salesman charged me "insurance" on top of the cost to replace the new tire.

I said that he was lucky I didn't sue him, as I had taken pictures of the tire "separation" but somehow that went unheeded.Needless to say I won't be buying anymore tires at Pep boys!

Don

Pep boys like everyone else is in it for the money.Sell the cheapest for the most money.I have yet to see any of these garages such as pep boys, sears,midas,and so many others know what they are doing?You want quality tires and knowledge go to your local big store dealer someone who knows tires and that s all they do Not these shade tree walmart mechanic places!!

jerry
#381973

Hankook tires are made in china...cooper are made in Ohio, don't be idiots and learn our tire history before you ***-u-me the origin of pep boys tires...that's why half of all comments are posted by pepboys derelicts and dealer rejects.

Frank S.

8) All these people complaining about Pep Boys Tires.I have been around as a certified technician since the 70's.

Most of the time when a tire goes bad there are underlieing issues that the consumer fails to mention or even bothers to investigate. Pep Boys are not in the business of killing people or manufactoring tires.

Get you vehicle checked out and use the facts wisely before pointing the accusal finger.8)