Rochester, New York

I bought 4 tires.They broke one lug, I had to replace 5 more studs because they cross threaded with an impact. Went back to have the store 1308 Juan Tabo Blvd NE, Albuquerque, N.M.

to have 3 over tightened lugs loosened. I asked the service manager to loosen and hand tighten, and torque wrench the rest of way. He refused. Said it is PepBoy Policy to put all tires on with impact wrenches.Claiming Impact wrenches are self adjusted for torquing to the proper PSI.

That is Bull S--t.I'm a mechanic and each impact is geared differently, and is variable on air PSI. The service manager argued.Had him remove the over tighten lugs,and they Impacted them back on. I went to remove the lug nuts from the problem tire. I marked the lugs so I would know which once were removed and re tightened by Pep Boys.

Guess what?Torque should have been 80psi, They were removed at 105,115,120psi. Contacted Corporate, they took report and said I would be contacted, regarding this issue and B.S. Policy. Never got a call back..Also found cause of tire air loss, they did not tighten the valve stems.

Stay away from PEP BOYS if you do not want to spend more work and money for their untrained tire installers. I challenge Corporate to red this and call me they have my number, But that will never happen, typical American corporation, mismanaged.

Product or Service Mentioned: Pep Boys Installation.

Comments

Shalimar, Florida, United States #717388

Going to Pepboys on Racetrack Fort Walton Beach FL this Monday morning :( . Could not remove lug nuts they installed using a 30" breaker bar with over 200lbs on the end.

That equates to 400ft-lbs of torque. There is no way I can change a tire with out special equipment.