Pep Boys scam

1292 of 1292 Pep Boys reviews

I recently had by rotors and brakes replaced by pep boys in San Carlos, CA.Immediately after I took the car home it started making a metal scraping sound coming from the rotors/brakes they just replaced.

When I went back down to ask them to just look at it to see if something was loose the service advisor told me I needed a new axle without even looking at the car!

He said it was a coincidence that my axle is now bad immediately after they touched my car.

Don't do business with them, they are not skilled workers and do not own up to their mistakes costing the customer a lot of money time and stress.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
1292 of 1292 Pep Boys reviews
Andrew Baldwin Pep Boys

Jun 30, 2012 #504828

Pep Boys upper management has it store managers adjust the time clocks so that the people get paid less money.
Management steals from employees!
When I brought this to Stewart at Corporate Loss Prevention, They Closed Ranks and denied everything!

jeffhall conway arkansas

Jan 12, 2012 #407999

:upset huh im soo happy i decided to read the reviews.. this is what happens when you rip good folks off PEP BOYS EVERYTHING FOR LESS!! a person like myself with cash in hand? will not be even going around that store im going somewhere else.. even if i have to drive 100 miles. even my 10 yrold says you suck "so now we laugh at you hahahahhahahaha!!!

Jocko

Jul 02, 2011 #307485

Some options: 1. You can take them to small claims court, no lawer needed. 2. File a complaint with your state attorney generals office. 3. File with the BBB. It wont help you but it might cause them some business when it gets around town.

Ben & Gloria Mosqueda

Jun 29, 2010 #158888

Our truck broke down 2 hours away from home. It was towed to Pepboys and we were stranded for one week. We were told the diagnostic test showed it had a bad fuel pump. Having no choice, we had them fix it for $880.

The only call we received from them was to tell us the cost. We called repeatedly to check on the truck and always encountered long hold times just to be told it wasn't ready yet.

Finally, when we called they said it had been done earlier that day. (of course no phone call) We rushed to pick it up and the car was worse than when it went in.

They never once told us that the main problem was the transmission. We assume it's because they don't fix transmissions but wanted to get something out of us.

Perhaps the fuel pump could have waited to be fixed, we'll never know because when we asked for the old parts they refused to give them to us.

After complaining of the poor service, I escalated the call to a manager who promised to pay us half back. When we tried to collect the $440, he wouldn't give it to us. We have not received one dime and now also are out $2400 for a new transmission.

ChoclateGRLWndr

Apr 25, 2010 #136897

I recently started experiencing tire related issues and went to the pep boys on jamaica ave in queens new york. The service there seemed fair. It was my second visit and although the rep tried to get me to change all my tires and i went somewhere else they told me @ least 2 needed to be changed. I paid for an evaluation and bought an air filter for my vehicle but the guy chraged me for installation . its a good thing i caught it because i was able to call him the next day and went right back in for a credit. when i called him he said he remembered and that he didnt charge me but i gave him the receipt number and he confirmed it. So shoppers be aware "Check your RECEIPTS"

Ana Mercado Juana Diaz, Puerto

Jan 16, 2010 #104943

:sigh I always go to Pepboys. I love my old Toyota 93' and the engine runs great.My recent visit(Jan2010) was for a horrible sound coming from underneath as I excelerated. I quickly shot over there. I expressed my concern.I got there at 2:15pm; was told what was wrong. I got it fixed. On my way home at 5:30pm I have a new noise totally different from the first,coming from a different area. I took it back the next day. According to them I need to replace my axel. I wanted an answer as to how they can explain that I did't drive in there with that problem, drove away from their shop with it. Another mechanic puts his two cents( thats all it was worth)in. He says I told them the shocks are bad. I was just in shock. Are these people ripping me off! I don't know what to do. I have my reciepts saved so while waiting I went through them. They had serviced the same area and chared me the same item back in April of 09'. I also noticed that when they itemized I couldn't tell which side I purchased. I needed a tie rod but which? lert or righ. They serviced my left but it didn't specify on the work order or anywhere. It's too bad for the investors and mechanics who are humble. I do believe there are good people,but I also believe there are bad, greedy people. I just want to say. Don't *** the had that feeds you.

100 cass

Dec 29, 2009 #99068

My car transmission light was on. I took my car to pep boys. I was advised the CAT was bad and recommended to replace the CAT and spark plugs. I was also told that the repair would be about $1000. I was recommended that I leave my car in their parking lot since they did not have the parts and that they would call for the parts next day if I decided to get my car repaired by them. Luckily, I decided to take my car to my car dealer next day for repair (I thought it was a major repair). In fact, my car just needs a new battery.

dismal

Nov 12, 2009 #86051

most of the parts come from within the store.these are the lowest grade of parts,charged out at an exhorbant price.sure you get a warranty,but it is not worth it

doug

Nov 10, 2009 #85719

you cannot condemn all pep boys employees by saying that "all are not qualified" i've been working for them for 5 years now and have been a certified mechanic for well over ten years. i do however admit that we do have some less experienced techs, but to imply "all" is very unfair and misleading

Robert Robinson

Sep 20, 2009 #73537

I personally have never had any trouble with the auto shop at Pep Boys I have used them for thirty plus years.In fact a couple months ago my wife and minor children was visiting family out of state in Modesto Calif. we live in Arizona to make a long story less long their air conditioner went out while driving through the Mojave desert in the middle of July fortunately next to the Days Inn they was staying in Modesto there was a Pep Boys and after my wife explained their situation of limited funds and a tight time line. The manager and his mechanic worked for at least a hour on a very busy Saturday to find the most inexpensive compressor in that area they completed the job very timely at very reasonably priced. My hat is off to that crew.Thank you Robert Robinson Chino Valley Arizona :grin :)

Robert Robinson

Sep 20, 2009 #73536

pbam

Aug 06, 2009 #64962

when you point your finger at someone there are 3 fingers back at you.

Jacked by

Jul 29, 2009 #63444

I had taken my car into pep boys last Nov. for a new tire and alignment. I told them to please be careful and lift the van correctly; explaining that in the past they had not.
So the acting? manager went out and told the shop guy to make sure it would be lifted correctly. Five minutes later the van was trying to be lifted (incorrectly) by the new, just out of their $40,000 training school.
Jack at the Sugarhouse Ut. store told me the training cost them - WHY doesn't the school show them HOW to lift a vehicle: they crushed the underside of the van on bothsides. The same thing happened again! The first time Jack told me that the van "came-in" that way and it was'nt them. Jack
saves the company LOTS of monies in claims each year - the "take $500 in repairs" for your trouble goes to "use our body shop" lowest bid; NO rental during repairs, take it or leave it! Jack is a polished manager, who's job is to rip-off anyone who thinks they don't know how to repair - anything else but tires! Just ask any of the few mechanics they have; the ones who know how to do repairs move on - out of the "JACKED" repair shop! Eight month's later, lesson? Don't mess with jack - He doesn't get the ripper as his name for nothing! LESSON LEARNED : Jack can never be honest; the PepBoys company is failing with everything, but tire sales! Rate the tires, they don't make the grade either -

paul

Apr 01, 2009 #55079

I just spend $1,500 to fix my front end after Pep Boys did a brake job and alignment on my car. I would not take my car to Pep Boys again if it broke down just outside the service bay doors.

Can

Nov 17, 2008 #46705

i have worked as a mechanic outside and with pep boys, everyone makes mistakes and every one dishing out $$$ for repairs wines. It's not the business but the mechanic. Everyone cries about how they can replace parts, but they forget you are not paying for the doing so much as for the knowing how to do it. Find yourself a mechanic you trust, ask for him/her to explain needed repairs (interview the mechanic). Once you trust that person ask for them when you go back. Like I said I have worked at several shops and even owened my on place, the real trick is find a good mechanic, stick with them and if things go wrong try talking to the person before you *** their head off. Most places will try to make it better. If not there is the BBB and this website

Bubba Ho Tepp

Aug 25, 2008 #30168

Only $700? You didn't say what kind of car, engine, etc, so based only on the price, consider yerself lucky. ***.

De

Mar 15, 2008 #5481 Massapequa Park, New York, United States

I have had many cars repaired at PepBoys and their prices are usually $200 less than the dealer. I've had problems from the dealers with leaking cars in the driveway after a job. I take my car back to whoever fixes it and it gets corrected. I don't give up if it is the dealer or them. I honestly feel good when I leave PepBoys. There are not many places you can take your car to get fixed anymore. Yeah, everyone does the battery & tires, but do they do more? I honestly have had a good experience and if I wasn't satisfied I went back and the Service Advisor made sure I was happy.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Pep Boys. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Pep Boys.
Filing a new complaint about
×