Albuquerque, New Mexico

I purchased an oil change for my vehicle at Pep Boys. After several runs on my vehicle and a week later, my engine was knocking. The technician failed to take the old oil filter gasket off before he put the new oil filter on. The gaskets are pretty welded together from this.

The engine sounds like a helicopter trying to *** with the loud knocking from this mistake.

PepBoys has stated that they are not responsible for the damages.

Is this a scam from Pep Boys? So that you would take your vehicle back to them to make more money off of you after they damage your vehicle?

Product or Service Mentioned: Pep Boys Oil Change.

Comments

Chino, California, United States #868741

It makes me wonder, I started doing my oil changes at pepboys a year ago, a year later two of my cars have blown up engines, now? Did pepboys motor oil has anything ti do with it?

I do not know for sure, but I do not trust them anymore.

an oil light would have came on...if it did and you still kept on truckin then its your fault...***

heat welds just about anything...

in some cases the old rubber gasket, if left on, can be lined up perfectly with the new one, in which case there will be a pressure seal. In most cases, this does not happen, and you get an oil out.

Oil will spray all over under the car. If you can leave both gaskets on when you return to the store, then, and only then can you have a chance of proving fault.

I've actually made the same mistake (i.e., left the old oil filter gasket on). However, things should seal the same as if the old gasket were removed.

I never suffered any damage, and only discovered this mistake during the next scheduled oil change. Your engine problems are not the result of Pep Boys "mistake", unless things didn't seal and all the oil drained out, in which case this would be Pep Boys' fault.

Hey oil filter gaskets are made from rubber. How do you weld rubber? Dumb ***!

to Joe #929961

I know... old post, but i came across it.

Why are people so quick to call others a dumb *** Especially, when THEY are the ***.... all forms of material can be "welded ", rubber, pvc & most plastics can be ...

via heat, chemical, etc. Support folks, it sure beats being negative!