Reston, Virginia

I have a 1990 Buick Lesabre FWD with the 3.8 liter V6 engine. It started leaking coolant - it was obviously coming from the "weep-hole" in the water pump housing. Although this is a 20 year old car, it only has 87,000 miles on it.

I checked the Pep-Boys on-line site and they had a new Bosch water pump listed at 32.99 at my local store. I called to make an appointment to get a water pump installed that very day (it was only 9:00 AM on Sunday 04/18/2010). They said they could do it and quoted me $177 for labor and $44.00 for the water pump (same Bosch part number as on-line - but it costs more, apparently, if they need to pull it from stock to install in your car). I questioned that charge and said I'd discuss it with them when I brought the car in.

I brought the car into their shop 1531 Cobb Parkway in Marietta, GA at just past 9:30 AM. I was ready to turn the car over to them for the work when their very haughty service manager started "adding extra charges" to the estimate. I opened the hood and showed the mechanic where the water pump was leaking (a steady drip) - but the service manager INSISTED he had to do a "diagnostic service" for an additional $35.00 to find the problem I had just shown his mechanic.

I admit I got a little "excited" about these extra charges - and the fact they were not disclosed when I got the phone estimate. I raised my voice and the African American service manager got into my face about how I need to "respect" him. He was more worried about getting his extra charges and his "respect" than he was in fixing my problem for the price he quoted.

I left the Pep Boys shop and had the work done at the local Firestone dealer - where they quote the real charges and abide by that quote (no extra or hidden charges). I will never go to Pep Boys again and I will be sure to tell all my associates at GE about this poor customer service experience. I will do everything in my power to ensure no one else gets ripped-off by these shady business practices.

Comments

Oh, please

Oh and how come you make no mention of firestones charges? I guarantee they were higher than pep boys.

Over the counter parts purchase are always cheaper than shops prices cause there's a lot more overhead. Did you even ask the manager if he would lower the part cost to $32.99? I bet you didn't. People who can't make good decisions and blow up on others aren't credible complainers.

No wonder u paid more at firestone.

I'm sure they laughed after they took more than pep boys was gonna charge u. I feel sorry for u cause u need to learn more about properly checking vehicles!

Oh, please

Quotes over the phone are what you ask for. The diagnostic gets done before the water pump replacement because if the engine is already damaged prior to service then the work won't help and you waste money.

You signed the work order and authorized the diagnostic so what complaint do you have? That's just wrong and you had no right to get mad at anyone. Pep boys was trying to help you make sure a before and after test was done by selling you the coolant evaluation. What if there was engine damage found after the water pump got replaced?

Did firestone even check that?

Or did they just do a repair u asked for and send u on your way? You know vehicles can still run for a while even with internal engine damage, but I guess u won't know if that's happened cause u didn't like pep boys trying to do the right thing......

once again a dyi diags the car, then tells the tech how to fix it. If that was the case , why didn't you fix it yourself?

AND THE WATER PUMP IS MORE EXPENSIVE BUYING IT THROUGH SERVICE , ALL SHOPS CHARGE 20 TO 30 PERCENT MORE FOR PARTS.....MANY PEOPLE ARE IGNORANT OT THIS. I THINK THIS GUY WORKS FOR FIRESTONE AND IS WRITING THIS B.S.

I WORKED FOR FIRESTONE ALSO HAD TO QUIT BECAUSE MUCH OF THE WORK THEY PAID ME GOT SOLD AND CASHED OUT AND THEY NEVER ASSIGNED IT TO ME. AND THEY HAVE THE FREE OIL CHANGE TO MAKE A CUSTOMER HAPPY ALL THEY DO IS PUT A NEW OIL STICKER..VERY POPULAR SCAM IN EASTERN STATES

THIS GUY IS A LIAR HIS STORY CONTRADICTS HIS COMPLAINT, HE WAS TOLD ABOUT THE FEES. PEP BOYS DOES A BLOCK TEST CHECKS T STAT, COOLING FANS OPERATION ON ANY CAR WITH OVERHEAT PROBLEM. IF WE HAD JUST DONE THE WATER PUMP AND HIS HEAD GASKET WAS BLOWN HE WOULD CRY EXTRA LONG AND WISH HE PAID 35.00 FEE TO PROTECT THE CUSTOMER FROM SPENDING MONEY IF THE CAR STILL NOT GOING TO GET FAR.

your a liar you will be back to pepboys...the diag was to cover the liabilities involved with a 20 year old car, and who gives you the right to raise your voice to anyone but your child or dog. you were wrong and you are an a-hole...you have no complaint!