Los Angeles, California

I took my van 2 weeks ago for low cooling and I told the rep that I needed to have freon added on. He insisted on a leak check first and charged $35 to check.

When I came back home the rep called and said that van needed complete A/c charge and NO leak was detected. They asked me to come back in aweek for recheck. They called me again to state that Evaporator core, expansion valve and new evaporator was needed at a cost of approx $800. Why was not the leak detected the first time?

After paying $200 for a full charge, now Pep want $800 to fix. Please refund my $200 immediately. Pep boys is misleading and falsifying the information.

Your people lack honesty and straightforwardness with customers.

A. Apte Ph 714-328-6882

Comments

#195200

trust me when i say A/C work sucks.. and from what i see based just on what you said.

i dont see where they are in the wrong.. a/c leaks are very hard to find sometimes.. and what they did was charge the system and added dye to it. and when you came back they found where the dye leaked out..

let me ask you this.. would you have felt better if they kept your car for a week and charged you to drive it around with the a/c on waiting for the a/c get warm and find the leak that way..people need to understand nothing is cut and dry with todays cars.

and from a cost perspective they do something and the customer is the one who drives it around for days or even weeks waiting to see if the repair worked.. some times thats just the way it is..

I HAVE BEEN IN SERVIVE WORK FOR OVER 45 YEARS, AND AN ASE MASTER TECH, A/C IS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS TO DIAGNOSE THE VERY FIRST TIME YOU RASE THE HOOD ON AN AUTO.PROPER STEPS NEED TO BE TAKEN TO INSURE A 1st CLASS JOB.I HAVE AT TIMES TOLD A CUSTOMER THAT THEY WILL NEED TO COME BACK AFTER A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME FOR A RECHECK. MOST OF THE TIME A LITTLE EXTRA LOOKING WILL FIND THE PROBLEM ON THE VERY FIRST TRIP.BUT WE ALL MAKE MESTAKES.I ALWAYS TRY TO WORK WITH PEOPLE.

File a consumer complain with your government agency. Have them checked over for Federal regulations.

Call Better Business and file a complaint. Follow up on your complaints.

The person above is correct. Leaks CANNOT always be detected at the time the vehicle is being serviced.

When your vehicle is charged they use a can of freon that has a UV dye in it. It is common for people to have to come back and have the vehicle rechecked. People do not understand how difficult it is to have AC diagnosed. Did they charge you again for the AC recharge?

If it's not on the ticket then they have basically already refunded you for the initial recharge, because getting the work you stated done would require another system recharge. Think about it that way. If they did charge you again then go to the Service Manager and politely explain the situation.

Many of them are willing to work with you, especially if you go in without yelling and screaming. There is no lack of honesty in this situation, just a general lack of good communication on the service advisor's part and lack of understanding on yours.

Well for your info a/c leaks can not always be detected immediatly. Thats why they told you to come back in a week.

They prolly put a dye in your a/c system with the recharge.

I swear just because everybody has access to google they think they are *** master tech's. Pep boys may screw some people over but in this case the customer isn't always right.