San Diego, California
3.1K views 16 comments

My 2003 Ford Expendition wasn't running right, dying at the light, so when I got it started, I drove it to Pep Boys, BIG MISTAKE, they want ya to prepay $90 to diagnose the problem.Then told me that the $90 doesn't come off the bill.

It's in addition to what-ever work still needs to be done, at least the dealer's diagnostic cost is $25 & it comes off the bill when the vehicle is fixed.Save Money & time - DO NOT GO THERE, it's cheaper to go directly to the dealer & have it fixed right the first time.

Review about: Diagnose My Car.

Review #198162 is a subjective opinion of a user.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Pep Boys?

Comments

anonymous
Fort Mitchell, Kentucky, United States #1067207

I agree, just to my son's honda civic to Pep boys for a hard strat problem- the diagnostics was basically a laundry list of parts totaling $900.They just made a list of everything ignition related (distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires) and expected us to pay up.

When I asked what specifically was wrong I got transferred around and finally spoke to a fellow who said that distributors go bad "inside" and can leak oil into the cap. I asked if they found any oil and he quickly said this was just an example. What the ***?

Hoping to get a refund on this bogus fee - if they can actually explain what was done I'd be satisfied.

Just seems to me they saw us as an easy mark and loaded up the estimate with parts whether they were causing the problem or not. The guy we spoke to even joked that we might as well replace the air filter.

Poor business and poor customer service.

We will avoid this business and recommend our friends do the same.

We charge $95 for a diagnose.Which also doesn't come off the bill.

Time and equipment costs money.

Would be nice if everyone in the world worked for free..

me
Lake Forest, California, United States #854833

Big gap in your $25.00 Dealers cost. Two Chevy Dealers in Orange County quoted me $120.00 and it would be applied to the cost of repairs.

You Suck

Josh from Oregon proof read what you wrote, if you still can't figure it out, your just plain retarded. :grin

Oh, please

They take if off the bill cause all they do is hook up a scanner.Pep boys does that for free.

Full engine diagnostics take time and involve many things including fuel pressure/volume check, ignition, charging system and block testing.That's why dealers don't let you see in the shop....

Poopy Pants
Chicora, Pennsylvania, United States #195699

Sorry you had to pay cry baby poopy pants.Next time, ask for Richard, he will put some nice hot white cream all over you're face and touch you're balls very nicely.

You have to pay so stop crying ***! If you don't want to pay it, go somewhere else. I bet you are black. Poor and black go figure.

Tell you what, go get some KFC and cry it out while you chop down on you're chicken wing, then take a big swig off your bottle of malt liquor.:cry :cry :cry :cry

to Poopy Pants #844704

Lame

Someone More Mature
to Poopy Pants San Antonio, Texas, United States #1281951

I am willing to bet you are 14 years old.

Leroy Jenkins
#193445

Mad Keith,

The only reason why I won't call you an imbecile is because you're simply ignorant.

A dealer's $25 diagnostic most likely does not cover engine diagnostics. Those cost a lot of money, probably $110 or so.

I'm sure PepBoys has a $20 diagnostic that looks at the same things the dealership $25 diagnostic does. But engine diagnostics are separate.

Yes, anyone can read the code for free, but what if you go out to the parking lot with your Autozone buddy, he hooks up the scanner, reads the code, and your code says something like EG47? You ask him what that means and he'll be like "I don't effing know, take it to a mechanic." See, the mechanic is usually ASE certified to know what the code means and then to start looking at the parts that the code shows are acting up.

(By the way, AutoZone used to read your code and it was always the oxygen sensor that was faulty,and then they would sell you a new one. They got sued big time for this. Google it).

And like other people said, it could take even the best mechanic a few hours to figure out what small part of your engine is acting up and what exactly needs to be repaired. Why should he spend his and the shop's time looking at your piece of junk for free when he could be doing something more profitable like changing someone's brakes?

bc
#192744

Are you a flat rate technician.The men are talented,smart, and educated and alsodo not get paid unless the fee is paid.

That is why it is called flat rate!! Do you want to work for nothing?? The dealer charges even more for diagnostics than aftermarket doesand do not take this off the bill!!getyour facts straight. !!The fee also guarantees the fix!!If it dont fixit , then its free!!Autozone and advance just checkcodes and are not ASE certified to do so.

Its like asking yourneighbor to fix your tilet when he is a electrician and has no knowhow. Good luck to you in the future!!

hows your vehicle running now???think about it??