Los Angeles, California

I took my car into the Fullerton Pep Boys location. I explained to the service person that my mini van had not past it's smog inspection.

I asked them to work on the emission system in order for it to past. They ran a diagnostic and avised that it needed a EGR vaccum modulator...They called me the next day and informed that the bill was $534.07. I picked the vehicle upn and checked the bill. They cleaned the fuel system...a service procedure, not an emission repair to a tune of $119.99 and charged me $157.50 for the modulator.

The part cost $86.00 at the dealership...so they charged me almost twice as much for the part. I can understand a markup of lets say 40% for profit...But an 80% markup...Not exceptable..I called the store service manager...awaiting his response.

Comments

stop cryin you crybabies... :cry

You should also be aware of the fact that the dealer is not the "authority" on pricing anymore, those days are gone. Dealers also buy thier parts from other manufactures, no dealer or automaker makes parts for sale, they buy and stamp the part as their own and sell it.

You can buy a superior part somewhere else, the dealers are broke and are selling the same or less quality parts to make a profit. I sell "upgrade" parts to dealers every day out of my parts store, their days are gone.

The above person wasn't being very kind and should have explained to what they were referring.

"It's" is shorthand for IT IS. If you say, "it is" and it doesn't make sense where you are using it, then the word should be "its".

English spelling lesson: "Past" means something which happened before the present. If you PASS a vehicle on the road, you "passed" the vehicle or "passed" the emissions testing.

You should know, it is the law in most states that you must first pre-approve any work to be done on your vehicle. You should NEVER tell someone to do work on your vehicle without FIRST getting your authorization. They saw you coming and took you for a ride. Report them to the AAA or Consumer Protection in your state; it could be your State Attorney General's office. Hope this helps.

A WOMAN WHO KNOWS MECHANICS

(I've seen this happen to men in dealerships, too.)

I WORKED AT PEP BOYS AT ONE TIME.JUST GIVING ADVICE ON THIS ISSUE.THE SERVICE WRITERS AT THE DESK ARE SUPPOSED TO GET

APPROVAL, BY WAY OF SIGNATURE ON A REVISED WORK ORDER,OR IF ITS BY PHONE THEY WILL ASK FOR A DATE OF BIRTH FOR VERIFICATION AND NOTE IT ON THE REVISED WORK ORDER.SO CHECK INTO THAT WITH THE SERVICE MANAGER. GOOD LUCK

:x

Maybe if you could speak or write in ENGLISH it would help your cause.