Went to Pep Boys at 701 Rt 440 Jersey City to change my front break pads.First visit seemed ok, they told me that the rotors needed to be machined for optimal break pad contact.

Related: Terrible Service at Pep Boys

I went back next week for 30k waranty maintenance thats when fishy stuff happened. Representative called me to notify me that the front and back rotors needed to be replaced as well as the pads! I've told her that i've done the front break at their location last week and I will not pay for service twice. She said that she neened to talk to the manager.

Few minutes later she called to notify that since they did the front breaks they will replace them for free but the back still need to be replaced. I've agreed to front breaks replacement as well as the original reason i was there the back breaks i went to check with the dealership. When i got out of the Pep boys i've noticed rattling noise on the front right side and asked the dealership to check that as well. Dealer said that there is still plenty of life on the back breaks as well as rotors and that the noise was caused by the some spring that was adjusted during maintenance.

Leaving the dealer i still heard the noise so i went to a local guy and he told me that the front break pad was not fastened in :O I will never go back to Pep Boys nor that dealership at route 4 Paramus Hyundai.Oh and the noise is gone.

Review about: Pep Boys Car Part Installation.

Turnaround Time
Service Scheduling
PRODUCT OR SERVICE Pep Boys Car Repair
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Bad quality / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Pep Boys?

Comments

h.kitchener

The problem with having these chain companies like Pep Boys do auto repair work is that you never know who is doing the work or even if the work they suggest needs doing.The best place to go for auto maintenance work is a local repair shop that has been in business for a long time and one which your friends and relatives have patronized for years.

The second place is a dealership because they require their repair people to be certified in the areas they work on.Some dealerships are better than others, of course but if your car is out of warranty, you need to find a good repair shop and use them all the time, not a chain like Pep Boys.

Mustard

I've mived here recently so local shops recommended by friends and family is out of the question.I could have asked the co-workers but most of them either have no cars or go to a dealership which I was already doung.

So the only option for me was to probe for myself, which I did.Still, not fastening the break pads is on the same level as leaving the wheel bolts loose!