Product: Pep Boys Car Repair Clear all filters (70 of 70 reviews match)
Filter by rating
filters
Seller:
State:
City:
Product:

Pep Boys - Trouble reaching bank rep after hours.

I had maintenance performed on my car and it required writing two checks. I have more than enough in the account to cover the checks but the second check will not go through and is returning 'declined'. What do the business and I do? I am assuming it is a security issue but there must be some way to get around it. Poor way to do business!!!! You need some help 24/7. Word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word
4.8
I liked
  • Good service
  • Staff were knowledgable
I didn't like
  • Waiting room

Pep Boys - Almost grand theft auto

I brought my car in for an air conditioning check almost a month ago. Despite the fact that I had made an early appointment two walk-ins were accomodated before me. Two hours later, after a cursory ac inspection, I was presented with an estimate near $800, which included ac recharge, receiver drier, orifice tube and compressor switch. I passed and walked out the door. I later brought the car to a local mechanic, and twenty minutes and one can of R134a later, the temperature coming out of the vents was 35 degrees, at a cost of $60. Unless you have money to burn, stay away from these pirates!

Pep Boys - Terrible service

I took my car here back in march because my car broke down on the highway, they told me it was my fuel pump and fixed it for me by the next day for around 500/600 dollars...4 months later my car broke down again with the exact same issue. I still was under warranty so I got them to redo the service. They took 6 days and were in no rush to get my car back to me vs the first time when it literally only took one day. I called nearly every day and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. They said they had to order the part and wait for it to arrive, then the two of the fuel pumps they put in my car didn't solve the problem so they had to get a whole new fuel pump assembly which supposedly "worked" so finally I get my car back and within four days it broke down again. So I take it back again under warranty and this time they took 5 days to fix it, saying that they had to order the part for the dealership instead of autozone this time, when I ask the manager Jeff why he just didn't do that when the first two they tried to put in my car after it broke down the first time didn't work the only thing he could come up with was "it's more expensive" as if that makes a difference. If it's more expensive but fixes the problem then that's just the way it has to be. Don't half *** fix my car just because you want to be cheap. They waited until the last day they had my car to tell me that they'd pay for a rental which was pointless by then. Could have told me that before I had to blow 136.58 on Uber's just getting to and from work. I just got my car back two days ago and the check engine light came on again, so I took it back yesterday and he said oh it's a totally different problem but it might not even be that big of a deal so I'll just turn it off for you. It came right back on by the end of the day. I'm just trying to understand how they had my car for 11 days and didn't see this "totally different problem". I took my car back today to get this "totally different problem" resolved for about 300 dollars (new oxygen sensor) and by the end of the day my check engine light came on AGAIN and my car is driving worse than when I brought it in to them. As you can imagine I'm beyond pissed. avoid going to this place unless you have an abundance of time and money to waste.
1.5

Pep Boys - Horrible Parts service

I placed an order on line for hub assembly, rotors and pads for my vehicle. When I completed the transaction on line it stated all parts were in stock. I found out later this is not true on any of their orders. It means they have it in the area but it may not be in the store. I contacted the store at noon only to be informed the parts will not be there until 2:00 PM. I was furious since I wanted to completed the job that day. I went to the store at 2:00 PM and was informed the parts would not arrive until 4:00 PM. At this time it was too late to start looking else where for the parts. I came back at 4:00 PM only to find out they only shipped on hub assembly instead of 2. Both my invoice and the invoice from the warehouse showed a quantity of 2. Not only did I waste the entire day waiting for parts, now I Have to waste another night to finish the job. Will never use their on-line system again. With this much aggravation I may never purchase parts here again.
2.2
Show

Pep Boys - Just can't fix it ...

Had the left front wheel bearing replaced on my 1999 Toyota Corolla. 6 months later and less than 10,000 miles. (it's my work car for field service), familiar grinding , airplane taking off noise from left front wheel well. Yup ... wheel bearing again. Pep Boys replaced for free but again used economy "Duralast" part. More like Durafail. Now 9 months later and a different state away I again have to contend with a failed left front wheel bearing. After some research, it seems that Duralast economy wheel bearings are known to be problematic. Pep Boys never offered a better quality part. Instead, they just charged me $80.00 for a part I could get from Rock Auto for $12.00. After some research, I have learned that National Bearing makes a premium wheel bearing for my car that costs a whopping $32.00 at Rock Auto. I have ordered one and will have it installed at a local highly rated garage. All for 1/3 less than what Pep Boys charged me. My advice based on this experience is stay away from Pep Boys. Find a local garage that has high customer reviews to have your car serviced. If you can find one that lets you bring your own parts, all the better. Tony Jimenez
1.7
I didn't like
  • Poor work

Pep Boys - They are crooks

AC was out, they charged excessively for it, said the fuel pump was broken, which was ridiculous, so they took that charge off. Foolishly I paid their excessive charge of over $1,000. Fool me once. Two days later car was overeating when idling. They wanted $2,700 for replacing all sorts of fan parts and motors...and the fuel pump. I said no. They said well, let's take the fuel pump off. The same one they'd tried to charge me for already. I left. I called the Chevy dealership and described the problem. They said it would be about $400 to fix a broken part and that the fan parts were fine. So is the fuel pump. This is the pattern: tell you more needs to be fixed. you balk at the price. they take something off that isn't necessary. You balk. They give you some kind of break, like a discount coupon. You think you're getting a deal. You aren't. Pep Boys is a criminal operation.

Pep Boys - Horrible Experience

They told me my air conditioner had a small leak. $99 to fix. $700 later and it still doesn't work. They kept it for three days and kept naming different parts that were messed up. Called it a "catastrophic event". Got the district manager involved. He was a *** as well. HORRIBLE PEOPLE. LIARS. THEIVES.

Pep Boys - Nightmare

On April 15th of this year 2017, I took my 2002 trailblazer to Pep Boys because the Abs light came on and needed for them to do a diagnostic on what could have caused it! They literally broke the computer on the truck and kept my truck for a whole week and charged me almost $800.00 and the light is still on! I called corporate 2-3 times a day to complain about not having the use of my truck! Not one time did anyone reach out to me! ever! Their so call corporate office in PA is a joke and a Nightmare! This gentleman took the truck apart and broke any and everything that could be broken, instead of the one light I went there with, it had 3 lights, the ABS, Low Engine Power and service Engine soon! I initially told the gentleman that I was not here to fix anything else except for what caused the light to come on! He had brought out a list of things that he thinks the ttuck needed! I want a full refund of my money! Stay away from Pep Boys! They lie a lot! This happened at the Snellville location, Main Street!
Show

Pep Boys - Car in worse condition.

I took my car for a fluid diagnostic check, checking for fluid leak. There was a leak coming out of the water pump. I paid over 1,000 for the part and labor. The next morning all the antifreeze from reservoir was gone.

Ripped off and Conned by PEP Boys, Vallejo

5/23/17 my radiator hose blew on my 2000 Xterra(original owner-NEVER a problem, 132,500mi). AAA towed me. $317 for 2 new hoses and fluids installed. Oops! $980 because also now needed a new radiator. Went home, called 5/24/17(today) told it was done and "we pressure tested the system for an hour. There are no leaks". HOORAY! Drove the 4 miles home. Noticed green fluid running down the driveway. Back to PEP Boys(near Costco).. "Your waterpump went out. It will be $689 for a new waterpump and timing belt" How the *** does a waterpump go out in 4 miles? BTW, $545 of the charges are labor. What a SCAM! Stay Clear of this Store!!