Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Pep Boys refused to pass my car for state inspection and claimed I needed $980 in repairs. After asking for my car back unrepaired, I began to address each item they said needed to be replaced.

Not a single one turned out to be valid. Here's just one example of many: They said my rear brake drums were at 213mm which would be unrealistically past the maximum diameter limit of 204.5mm. So I bought new drums (which start at 203.3mm), installed them, then took the old drums to a shop for inspection. My old drums were fine as the micrometer reading showed them to be 203.7mm, well within the spec limit.

I am now going after Pep Boys to get a refund for the drums and many of the other parts they claimed I needed but were never necessary. The drums and some other parts were purchased at AutoZone but cannot be returned since they have been installed, but I am demanding a refund from Pep Boys since the parts were never needed in the first place.

I am certain my situation is not an isolated incident and Pep Boys will be held accountable for its dishonesty and intentional fradulent practices.

Comments

Simpson, North Carolina, United States #19091

I worked for Pep Boys 13 yrs...(OFFICE) and the things I KNEW made me aware TO NEVER HAVE A PEP BOYS TECH (IF YOU WANNA CALL THEM THAT) TOUCH MY CAR. I never even took it to them for an oil change.

I am one of many (Pep Boys) employees that go somewhere else for car repairs. It was really funny a few years back we (OFFICE EMPLOYEES) were all given gift certificates for repairs at Pep Boys (I think $25.00) to boost their business. I declined......it would cost me $125.00 to fix whatever they would break.

My comment was not appreciated , but I make the car payments so I will take my car to a competent place to have it fixed. Five years.....there will be no Pep Boys.

Hoshiarpur, Punjab Province , Pakistan #18189

Pepboys in sancarlos ca,this shop is all about selling as much as they can,they care only for % numbers at the end of the day and not customer service,this shop lacks professional service.

Derby, Vermont, United States #18182

ALSO THAT WOULD NOT BE ENOUGH TO TURN THEM. RESEARCH HOW MUCH U NEED TO CUT ROTORS. YOU ALSO MUST OF BOUGHT CHEAP ROTORS IF THE NEW ONES ARE THAT CLOSE TO SPEC

Derby, Vermont, United States #18181

BRAKES DONT DRY ROT, BUT TIRES DO

Macquarie Park, New South Wales, Australia #18137

Strange...I am going through the same exact problem as we speak! I had brakes installed at a local tech school a month ago.

Today, PepBoys said they were dryrotted, and I needed new rear brakes.

I asked them to speak to the auto tech teacher who installed them. They refused, and also refused to pass my car for inspection.