Recently, the "service engine soon" light on my 95 GMC Jimmy came on. I went to both Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone who were more than willing to run a diagnostics scan for me (free).

Unfortunately, they couldn't get a diagnostics read because my truck is so old. They recommended I call Pep Boys. I called Pep Boys and asked them if they could run the diagnostics. They informed me it would be no problem ....

and it would only cost me $94.00. A new diagnostics tool is only $129.00 !!

What a ripoff !! I can guarantee you I will never darken Pep Boys door again

Comments

#501902

Took car to pep boys for noise, and bad smell. I was told I needed complete front brakes and emergency brake needed adjusting as whoever set it did a bad job.

It was like driving with er brake on. Ok. Wait a day for funds and take car to closer pep boys for actual work. Explain problem and original diagnosis.

No prob. They did the work. On the way home, mousers and smell continue. Call them and let them know, bring it back.

Instead of them checking it out again they say the type of pads and rotors I have tend to smell and make noise in the beg and I need to put at least 1000 miles on it. Could not put more than200 miles on it because the problem got worse. Took car back and I now need complete rear brakes!!! What!!!

Who???

Checked it out in the first place and why didn't they know this then? I will never give them another dime.

I went to pep boys here in Pensacola,they have robbed me of at least 2,000 dollars in less than a years time. Car still not running right, I finally made up my mind that they will not get another dollar out of me. The guys are polite,but I wonder what their experince is on vehicles.

YOUR TRUCK IS OBD I YOU DUMB *** SO I HOPE YOU BUY THAT $129 OBD II SCAN TOOL THAT WILL NOT WORK ON YOUR CAR ***. U R A JOKE.

Absolutely correct.....stop being CHEAP!!! Obviously you don't know anything about cars.

$129.00 for a diagnotic tool??? What is that?! Get a real Diagnostic tool buddy!!! Go ahead and buy yourself that tool and let me know if you find out what the problem to your vehicle...ok?

There is a lot more involved than just getting a code out of your vehicle. Reading this complaint of yours makes me more PISSED at you.

yupp exactly what mechanic412 said. those codes you pull with the scanner are rarely the "problem". more like a starting point to tell the tech where to -look-

you pay for a diag at pepboys no just reading codes a 129.00 diag tool is just a code reader' a real diag tool cost around 3000 that will read codes and read data so a tech can diag your car not just read codes and then sell you parts that you might not need so pay the diag fee and stop being cheap