Villa Park, Illinois

I took my 03 Toyota Tacoma to PepBoys to investigate and repair the source of the check engine light being on. The truck seemed to run fine and the light had been on for 3 weeks with no noticeable problems.

After 4 hrs PepBoys called and said that the oxygen sensor was defective and two other sensors needed to be replaced. They also indicated that my spark plugs were 'fouled out' and needed to be replaced along with the plug wires. They also recommeded their fuel system service. Total price $1230.00!

Wondering why it would cost $1300 to repair a functioning vehicle I took the car to the Toyota dealership the next day and they determined that only the oxygen sensor needed to be replaced for a total cost of $420.00. The plugs were not 'fouled out', otherwise the vehicle would not have started or run properly, and the other sensors were working properly.

Seems PepBoys needs to be added to the list of untrustworthy auto mechanics. Who can you trust these days?

Comments

buy an altrernator from there parts dept.costs175.have it instaled by there service dept they charge u 193.00 for there own same part from there parts dept,in additon to 92 bucks labor.they mark up there own part on the customer.whata scam.my first and last time dealing with pep boy scumbags.they made the sale this time,i was desperate.but they lost the customer for life,plus anyone else i tell about this scam.made the sale,lost the customeer.short term buisness approach,they will end up going under.mark my words.

#193267

Lol.. ok lets have a small class about check engine lights coming on.

check engine lights come on because the vehicle's computer sets what is called a code. These can be misleading unless you know what you are looking at.These codes do not tell you exactly what component or part has failed. they do tell what circuit is running out side of the manufactures set peramaters. 02 sensors can be the most misleading codes because the 02 sensor code can be set for a number of reasons.These codes give the technician a starting point for thier diagnostics.

if you feel that just having a free diagnostic done at your local autozone or who ever you choose too just pull a code and throw parts at it, more power to you.

It's most likely you realy didn't fix the problem, and your check engine light most likely will come back on in the near future for the same problem. the shop may recommend additional services wich most of the time is called preventive maitance, to keep your vehicle running properly and to help prevent the same problem from occurring in the future

prehaps they recomended the outher things due to your mileage

HALF THE TIME I PUT IN THE CODE# IT TELLS ME WRONG# PLEASE FIX THIS I DO KNOW HOW TO PUT IN NUMBERS!!! :( :(

Oh my gosh!!! I took my car to Pep Boys yesterday and was there for 4 hours too.

Same thing the engine light on my 04 Dodge has been on for a few weeks. I was told the same story! That I need the O2 sensor replaced on top of Gaskets, spark plugs, fuel injection cleaning and some other "packages" costing me $900.00. Took the car to Autozone they did the same test, took them 2 minutes and they said I only need the o2 sensor replaced.

CRAZY!!! :(