Brooklyn, New York

I have been a customer for many years at this Pep Boys. Until the last 4 months I have not experienced any problems.

But they have misdiagnosed now 2 different cars, and charged me money for those evaluations. First was my car, towed into the shop after it broke down. They tested the car and said I simply needed a battery. I drove the car to the store and home and to work the next day.

I left work that night and again the car broke down. After a second 2 hr tow wait, again to the shop they said they retested the electrical system and must have given me a bad battery. They installed a new one, and I left. I went back and forth to work the next day, however, the next morning the car broke down on the way to work.

Another 2 hr wait for a tow, back to the shop. Waited for a 3rd evaluation and the 3rd mechanic comes in to inform me not only do I need another battery, but the problem was the alternator. They made good on it by obviously paying for the 2nd and 3rd tows (19.99 ea) and didn't charge me labor on the alternator. A few weeks later I went in for a simple oil change and also to complain my belts had been Loudly squealing since the alternator work.

They changed the oil and told me they checked the belts and there was nothing wrong. (they squeal to this day) My daughter's car went in on Mon. We told them it needed a tune-up, but that there was a shimmy in the front end of the car. They told me it would be 89.99 to evaluate.

We said ok. The man, John, said all he had to do is get the keys, have her sign the order on the little screen and he would print out the order and give her a copy. I step away to the ladies room. I came out she was there waiting, we went to breakfast.

I asked her for the paper and noticed another 19.99 charge in addition to the 90 dollar one. He also put down she needed brakes instead of the tune-up we told him about and wrote down her engine light was on (we said it flashed because of the tune up) and that the car was shaking Violently (it was a shimmy) I asked what is this? and did he say anything to her. She said all he said was to sign the screen.

Needless to say when we got back, I complained about the extra charge, he said he told us about it. The disagreement ensued and they removed the charge. They then informed me they couldn't help me that is was her differential. We would have to take it to a transmission place.

The next day we took it to Aamco. They evaluated the car (for free) and told us they don't know why Pep Boys said it was the differential, there was nothing wrong with it. He suggested to take it to another mechanic, Day 3 of our saga, we went to another shop, recommend by a friend. The shop evaluated the car (for free) and found it was the left outer tie rod causing the shimmy.

(please note Pep Boys did a Steering/Suspension evaluation too which was the extra charge we found out it wasn't included it the car evaluation) Finally the car is fixed after 3 days and 3 shops. I called the 1800 Pep Boys number to lodge a complaint for the 90 charge for an evaluation that was totally useless. They gave me a complaint number and said I would here from them within 48 hrs. About 45 minutes later the Service Manager, Ciro M called me from the PJ shop and was angry.

He was rude and in the end told me "just come get your refund, because your really not worth the aggravation". I went down there walked in he greeted me with a smile, until I told him who I was. The smile left his face to anger, told me to follow him, (to the register) he told the girl to give me the refund for the amount on the paper. He leaned over to her ear and said "2 and 3 party evals and she wants a refund from us?

This is *** and he walked away. That is the last time I will ever go there for anything. It's sad it used to be a nice, knowledgeable shop, but they've had mechanics leave and the talent is know longer there.

I have a new place to go for car work and if I need any auto goodies I'll go to the new Autozone that just opened across the street. I called the 1800 Pep Boys number back and they were very unphased at my experiences.

Product or Service Mentioned: Pep Boys Oil Change.

Comments