PEP BOYS AUTO SERVICE

1747 W. Brandon Blvd.

Brandon, FL 33511

ATTN: Customer Service Mgr.

First of all, on 2/13/10 (Saturday), I brought my vehicle (1990 Ford Bronco) in for a basic tune up. Technician John Smith, entered this service request. After speaking with John to explain I had to turn the distributor for the vehicle to start that morning and it ran until I turned it off, I chose the basic Platinum Maintenance Tune up Package for $174.77; which included a shop fee of $12.93, totaling $183.37.

On the next day 2/14/2010 (Sunday), I received a call that my vehicle was ready for pickup. While retrieving my vehicle from PEP BOYS, it started and I waited for the engine to warm up. Afterwards, I headed west on SR 60 to the Best Buy store. After leaving Best Buy, I returned to my vehicle and it would not start. A wrecker was called and (2) two hours later, I was back at PEP BOYS.

The vehicle was left for service the same day (2/14/2010). Technician Danny Torres, entered this service request. On 2/28/10 (Sunday) I was once again contacted to retrieve my vehicle. This second visit out of pocket cost was $577.80 for the service and $35.00 for the shop fee, totaling $612.80.

On the same day 2/28/10 (Sunday) after retrieving the vehicle for service for the second time, I once again left PEP BOYS only to have my vehicle shut down and not start a few miles away. Again, I repeated the routine of finding a ride and returning to PEP BOYS.

On what is to be the third visit to PEP BOYS, I was then advised that the vehicle will need a new timing chain and it will cost an additional $670.03; not to include an additional shop fee of $35.00; totaling $705.03.

My question and concern is: WAS IT NOT (IF NOTHING MORE THAN ETHICALLY RIGHT TO DO SO) THE RESPONSIBILITY OF YOUR CERTIFIED MECHANICS TO ADVISE THAT A TIMING CHAIN WAS NEEDED ON THE FIRST VISIT?

IF YOUR MECHANICS HAD CONDUCTED A PROPER DIAGNOSTIC REVIEW (WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE WITH EACH TUNE-UP SERVICE) OF THE VEHICLE, THIS WOULD HAVE RESULTED IN LESS OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE FOR ME AND LESS TIME BEING CONSUMED BY YOUR STAFF.

My email address is: rwilson502002@yahoo.com

Had an Experience with Pep Boys?

Comments

took my car for a missfire, they told me i needed a tune up and related services.charge for $550.

2 months later the same problem, took it in and was given an estimate for $900 dollors to correct the missfire which is now related to the fuel delivery system repairs. took it to real mechanic, he replaced my spark plugs and wires for $170(which was supposedly done by pep boys already), problem fixed. so i spent $550 to learn pep boys do not employ any mechanic, and only employ manager that dismiss you by given you a higher estimate for an unrelated service for the same problem, if you take your car back to them.

al because i tried to get my car fixed on a saturday where i don't have to miss a day of work.:cry

In case you didn't know I am a drooling loser that eats crayons and paste.I frequently wet my bed.

I almost got caught by Chris Hansen on "To Catch A Predator".And in case it isn't obvious, I am really ignorant.

by the way, I am a retarded gluesniffer with a male lifemate who enjoys acting like a bonesmuggling loser on public message boards.

How can you tell if you need a timing chain bafore it brakes?what was done to the truck on the second time?

all you said was the price of the job. And did you know when was the last time you changed the timing chain on the bronco? Its an old truck and things brake. You said you have to mess with the distributor before you even took the truck to pep boys the first time.

I wonder if the second time the distributor had to be replaced... stop telling the advisors what you think is wrong with the truck and just explain the problem and ask for a diagnostic and the, maybe you can get your truck running the way you want it to run. If you ask for a tun up.

You will get a tun up.If you ask to fix a problem the advisor job is to tell the technician to diag and fix the problems with the truck.

Look you said and i quote "I chose the basic Platinum Maintenance Tune up Package for $174.77" So its there fault you didn't choose to do the diagnostic first??? You obviously were being cheap and didn't want to pay for this and you are probably one of those that think they know whats wrong with there vehicle, hence you didn't have the diag ran....so its not there fault, they did what you asked and stated in this page. Also why the *** do dumb *** get on here and write a letter too the company, this is obviously not there website, duh!