Miami Beach, Florida
5.1K views 33 comments

Just like some of the other people on here, I too fell for the buy 3 tires get one free Pep Boys scam.I opted for the more expensive tires because ultimately they would cost the same as the lower-end tires, after the rebate.

Related: DO NOT GO TO PEP BOYS!

I submitted for the rebate and I received a card a few weeks later stating "Installation Package must include Road Hazard Warranty". Nobody at the store disclosed this to me. I called the number on the post card. Spoke to both a rep and the supervisor.

Both were useless and told me to take it up with the store.

I'm thinking I'll file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General.This is deceptive advertising and it deserves a class action suit.

Review about: Tires.

Review #202679 is a subjective opinion of a user.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Pep Boys Rebate
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $100
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Pep Boys?

Comments

The exact same thing happened to me. Once I looked at the receipt I saw I was charged $28 per tire for their "road side warranty". I took this up with the manager indicating I didn't ask for this and he replied it was required to redeem the 4th free tire.

Nothing is for free

Stockbridge, Georgia, United States #928715

Me too 174.00 and I kept one tire and they still charged me the disposal fee.they called today for a customer survey and when I told him I was very displeased and why they hung up

Beto

That's sucks. Too bad for them.

Raeder
Detroit, Michigan, United States #760769

Yeah yeah yeah.Read the form.

I know you think someone else should do that for you.

Maybe you should hire a lawyer to read for you.All tire rebates at pep boys are very specific.

jd
Hampton, Virginia, United States #759264

Brought tires from Pep Boys and after reading the comments I feel lucky. I received the pep boy rebate along with the falkin tire rebate for a total of $189.00. I was thinking about going back to Pep Boys for tires for my infiniti, but reading the comments i'm beginning to have second thoughts.

tim

thanks for the caution notes. going elsewhere now.

Marion

Got good tyres and got rebate.Trouble is, it is a PepBoys Visa card and only good for 3 months.

Can I buy another tyre and take it back for cash? I would bet NOT! We will think of something, regardless.

But we will not trust them again.Matter of fact, just who can we trust these days???

Steve Roberts

This buy 3 get one FREE is a scam.I did everything they told me to do at the store and my rebate was declined because I did not buy the $70.00 road hazard warranty, which the store rep told me I did not have to do.

I will never darken their doors again.They are just bait and switch people, a real rip off.

Watchdog

Most of the gripes and groans I read are justified to a degree.PepBoys, like any auto repair/retail sales org is in business to make money.

Since the company has grown so large, like any other business of it's kind, it's going to experience the pros and cons of professional employee service. Very few businesses that have grown to become nationwide from coast to coast offer flawless service. As Americans we too have developed expectations that all businesses should offer perfect service in every way. Businesses like McDonalds, and those of it's kind are unique and must maintain exceptional standards due to govt regulations in selling food products to the public, or they will be shut down.

Some states grade restaurants with an A or B in the window. Non-food sales related businesses DO NOT have to hold to similar standards. This is why we the consumer must be so cautious and adamant about requesting information regarding sales promotions. It's unfortunate when some companies restrict facilities for employee use; however, keep in mind once employees have full run of a facility, there's usually one guy out there who screws it up for the rest of the team, nationwide.

Not all people feel they need adhere to a standard discipline. This is an issue worldwide in any business. About this claim in being "Ripped-Off," there should have been an explanation of rebate requirements stipulated somewhere on the form. I am now looking at the same deal at a Pepboys...

The form shows the tire brands and models included in the promotion. The warranty is also indicated on the form. I would think you used the same form to request your rebate. I would simply request to pay the road hazard warranty so I may be eligible for the rebate.

Apparently, it was not made clear at the time you made said purchase of 4 tires that you were required to purchase the warranty. You obviously did not have the opportunity to read the rebate form before making a decision. I specifically asked the store manager about the rebate process and he took the time to find the rebate form, which I did read and questioned when I read about the specific model tires included in the promo. I was not informed about this.

I could have been screwed right there if I bought any tire type. I have not bought the tires yet and I'm still skeptical. I'm not thrilled with the tire selection, and there are other promotions out there to be had. Apparently, Michelin is kicking-off a "Buy 3 get 4th for $1" promo beginning Apr2012 at Nissan dealers.

I learned this from an on-line OEM Nissan Parts Dealer. Best advice: Raise your self-preservation and awareness senses. Don't mean to be negative; however, this is a dog-eat-dog world.

Most of the 3rd world swims in corruption and screwing your neighbor.We're not in Kansas Toto, and I don't think we ever were!