4.7K views

I went to Pep Boys this weekend to take advantage of their tire deal. Yeah what a deal.

You have to pay for all 4 tires. You get your money for the 4th tire back as a rebate check. I can deal with this. I could not deal with the 177.00 cost to mount and balance the tires.

Total cost for 4 $72.99 tires after mounting with tax $527.00. That is a toal rip off. I went five miles down the road and bought 4 $80.00 tires from Firestone. They actaully gave me the 4th tire free.

Total cost plus tax $307.00. Now thats an honest deal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Pep Boys Rebate.

Comments

My pain, since 6 day ago I've being trying to buy the 4 for 3, went to the store no body can help with that, 500 installed total, boughted online and my transaction its pending in my bank, cant use my money, left mesage in customer service no body anwer, conclusion: this the worst tire store that I met.

to Ray Manlius, New York, United States #946976

Wow, the people that do business with pep boys clearly can not read or write. I can't believe the education of this country.

The avg. IQ of the people in this chat is clearly many marks below ***.

u all full of *** i was there today and could not buy anything cuz its only for cars that have 13" wheels false advertisement and yes im pist off :( :cry :sigh

Time to re-tireMost staets's laws say that tires are legally worn out when they have 2/32 or less tread depth remaining. All tires sold in North America have wear bars in the grooves between the tread that are, you guessed it, 2/32 tall.

So when the wear bars are even with your tread, it's definitely time to replace those tires.Realistically speaking, once a tire drops below 4/32 it can no longer effectively displace water on a wet road, and and a resulting loss of control becomes a real danger. If you live somewhere where it snows, consider replacing your tires when they reach approximately 6/32 of remaining tread depth.Figuring it outOK, great. So the tread is taller than the wear bars. How do I figure out just how much tread is actually left?

Well, you could go out and buy a . They aren't that expensive and give a nice accurate reading. However, says you probably have all the tools you need to measure your tires' tread right in your pocket.Dig in there and pull out a penny and a quarter. Now you're set.Take a penny and place Abe head down into the grooves of the tire.

As long as part of his head is covered by the tread, you've got more than 2/32 remaining. Repeat in several areas to be sure.Grab a quarter and put George head down into the grooves. Repeat in several areas. As long as part of his head is always covered by the tread, you've got more than 4/32 of tread remaining.

And he cannot tell a lie.Now take that penny again, flip it over, and put the Lincoln Memorial upside down into the groove. If the top of the memorial is always covered by the tread after trying several locations across the tire, you have more than 6/32 of tread remaining.And people say the penny is worthless!

*** pepboys!

:eek :upset the buy 3 get 1 free is over. Now its 100 off purchase of 4 instant rebate

The 4th tire is NOT free! I was charged $155.24 to install 4 tires.

The breakdown: 10.00 for touching my tires, 51.96 to balance, 65.32 for road hazard, and 27.96 for valve stems. This does not include the $8 tire disposal fee.

I keep coming back asking them to fix my brake they left sqeaking it always takes more then 2hr im here now my tires r off no1 is even working on my car ive been here over 2 hour they have no idea wut they did to my car n it costed a $100 this time for nothing

Where I work there are mistakes at times, but for the most part our service guys do a great job, and the first employee is correct, its us that get screwed. Our employees service and retail barely get paid more than a 16yr old Macdonalds employee.

Just be aware

The 4th tire free is:

A) a rebate they send you a visa that expires in only a few months so don't expect to put it in the bank!

B) any other rewards you get like their point thing expire in like 3 months IF that!

So don't think it's like gift cards, store card,etc that are good for a year plus, these things expire fast. If you're the type to go for those types of promos, might be a decent deal for you.

*** promotion due to the short expiration dates I think.

I you don't know anything about automotive repairs and/or service, please do not write anything on this blog. People are so ignorant, they think they know everything about everything, and guess what?

NOT!

I went for that deal and the service was great, no complains. Ask if you don't understand and that's it.

Golden Valley, Arizona, United States #163365

Back in February 2009 I did this same program I have still not rec'd my monies

I tried faxing to the number I was given and the line is always busy. No one even told me at Pep Boys I had to chase down my rebate.

This is disgusting how these companies are allowed to just do anything they want these days. This is why this country has gone to ***!!!!!!!!!

hey just want to tell about my tire buy. i bought 4 tires + Services,, i was told to receive a REBATE FORM THE TIRE COMPANY,,2 week later i found out the TIRE COMPANNY HAVE NO PROGRAM RUNNING AT THE TIME I BOUGHT THE TIRE >> BUYER BEWARE>>> :(

I've worked a a service writer there. And now work as a tech in the shop. As far as the tires go. The definity is cooper owned company. They are not the top of the line. But still a good tire. I have them on 3 of my cars, and both of my parents car. The $177 included the 69.99 alignment, balancing, mounting (free) valve steams, disposal, warr. The difference in price is $220 ok. Lets break it down. -$80 for the instant rebate. So thats $140.00 -$69.99 that makes it $70.01 Now you didn't get the warr. which was probably 7.99 a tire. So that is -$31.96 so that makes a difference of $31.96 So where is the rip off. Break down things before you act like you were raped.

You claim it didn't include an alignment. Your full of *** There is not was 177.00 in just installation and warr. Look again. And free front end check. Everyone look at the front end when they have the car in the air. It takes 20 sec. And everyone does it because it may lead to more work for the tech. And you don't know for a fact if the car is slightly out of alignment by just looking at it. You need to hook it up to the alignment rack and look at what degrees are set at. All they did was look to see if the front end is loose. Or if the tires worn unevenly.

I'm not carring this rant on to defend pepboys. But I don't care much for people *** about things, when they don't mutter thru the facts. I personally can't stand pepboys. They at least my store does good work. I know all the guys in the shop and they take pride in our work. My problem with pepboys is that they SCREW their employees. The way they pay people is horrible. They may charge the customer $100 for labor on doing breaks. But only pay the tech $8.00 Because they are shy on hours for the 2 weeks. Which is more often then not. For example. One master tech printout shows he made the store over $245,000 in labor and he only made $32,000 that year.

Erode, Tamil Nadu, India #116441

Pep boys auto is one of the most honest companies , that centers its every movment around customers , i am sur ethat the total price was given befor anywork was started . and as for the aligment , if your aligment is out of wack it will quickly eat the new tires up , so here is a question for you , which company is there for the quick hit and which is concerned with you safty and your investment of a few hunmdred tires

It wasnt Firestones fault with the ford explorers roll over problem check it out ford later cleared firestones name a few years ago do the research before you talk bonehead

I have a lincoln ls and the lug nuts aren't

cheap .... the pepnerds mangled all of them but 2 ....

and then they told me my lug nuts were messed up..... lol

Finally got my tires. I gave Pep Boys a shot and I wasnt disappointed.

Their service was outstanding and they had me out in about an hour with an alignment. I did my research, the Cooper tires have great traction, treadwear and temperature ratings. They have me as a customer for life. I will also tell everyone I know about my positive experience there.

Maybe you just happened to stumble upon the anomaly of Pep Boys.

I am in Chicago and the service at the location I went to was super. Pep Boys ROCKS!!

Falken are the cheapest tires u can buy...haha they wont last 10k... Coper tires are great!