Update by user Aug 05, 2011

Oh and just a note.... The Better Business Bureau and The Automotive Repair Bureau are a JOKE! They told me they could not force Pep Boys to do anything and that I would have to go to small claims court.

Update by user Aug 05, 2011

8/5/2011 I finally got a call from Pep Boys. The manager said he was happy to tell me that they replaced my engine and it runs great.

He had such hope and happiness in his voice. He then told me he needs a favor from me. He wanted me to come pick up my car and take it to an auto body shop to get some estimates on repairing the bullet holes. (WHAT THE ***?????!!!!!) He then went on to tell me how someone had shot up a few of the cars in his lot overnight and how they had already replaced three of my windows but they couldnt do the body work.

Can you believe this ***? Just when I thought I couldnt possibly hate them more.

Update by user Jul 28, 2011

Pep Boys agreed to replace the engine at their cost but they will not pay for a rental car. It has now been well over a month and nothing has been done to my vehicle.

This is ridiculous! In the meantime I filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the Bureau of Automotive Repair.....neither have done anything to help the situation.

Original review posted by user Jun 27, 2011

My car broke down on the highway on 11/02/2009 and was towed to the Pep Boys in Fontana, they installed a new fuel pump and it ran fine afterward. A few weeks latter my car broke down again and I had it towed to Pep Boys in Burbank. They told me the engine needed to be replaced and it would cost $2,000.00 and I gave them permission to install a new engine. I ended up paying $3,195.00 and taking delivery on 12/9/2009. After a few days I realized the engine sounded a lot different than the original and it was ticking and knocking. When I called Pep Boys they told me it was just a new engine and it was just settling in. I took It back to Pep Boys on 12/21/2009 and they said there was a problem with the lifters and worked on the vehicle until 2/2/2010. On Dec 23rd 2009 I filled a complaint with Pep Boys and they acknowledged the issue with the engine and provided a rental car up until till my car was returned on 2/2/2010. It still sounded like a lighter tick but they insisted it was normal. In August of 2010 I turned my airconditioning on for the first time and noticed it was not working. I called and was told it had nothing to do with the new engine and that it probably would need to be charged. Pep Boys wanted $90 just to look at it and I declined service.

On June 25th 2011 I was returning from a business trip in San Diego when I stopped and filled my gas tank at an Arco station. About 20min latter the vehicle stopped running completely. It was late so I had to have it towed to the local Pep Boys Tri City/Oceanside store number 742. The store was closed so I had to pay $25 for a taxi to the only hotel in town that had a vacancy on a Saturday night. I then paid $88.09 for the night and $25 taxi ride back to Pep Boys at 9am the next morning. On arrival I explained to the service tech that we are stranded and had been there overnight and they agreed to start work immediately on my vehicle and at the time they only had one other car in the bay. Two hours latter I returned to Pep Boys and they had not even looked at it. There were several other cars there and after complaining they said they would see if it was the fuel filter and if it's not that it may be the fuel pump. The person working on my car kept disappearing…off to lunch or wherever. At 5:00pm I started to complain knowing they would close in an hour and I would be stranded again. At 6pm they told me the engine installed at the Burbank Pep Boys was junk and that they will have to install a new one. We also noticed that the original paperwork was incorrect and they showed my odometer at 1mile at the time. After an hour of arguing the manager (Daniel Barnard) told us it would take 7 days to install a new engine and we were told they would work things out with Burbank Pep Boys. He then made arrangements to get us to a rental car place and said they would pay for it for seven days while the work is being done and he called and got an estimate for $201.53. he told me I would have to pay for it up front because the rental car they usually use is closed on Sunday but he would reimburse me at a rate of $29 per day.

June 27th 2011 10:18am Chuck the manager in Oceanside called me to say that they would not replace or repair the engine because it is no longer under warranty and Burbank Pep Boys will not stand by the repairs. He said that Oceanside will pay for the rental car they had me get yesterday but will only pay for that day and today and that I have to return the car today.

June 27th 2011 10:36am I called and spoke to the service manager in Burbank (Juan) explained and talked over the whole situation. Juan explained that the engine block they purchased from another vendor and it had problems with the lifters and that is why it was making the noise. He said that during the time they had it they sent it back to the vendor but he didn't have the time or capacity to repair or replace it. I call calling daily to get my car back and they were paying for a rental car so they cut their losses and tried to fix it themselves. He said he will work with me and he would fix it no charge and if they couldn't repair the engine (send it to a machine shop) they would replace it BUT they wont pay for the tow from Oceanside to Burbank or for my rental car. I called several towing companies and it would be a minimum of $500 to tow it to Burbank. I asked him why they cant just fix it in Oceanside and he insisted he would not and could not do anything unless they car was in Burbank.

11:55am Daniel Barnard from Pep Boys tri city called and will release the vehicle at no charge and will pay for two days of rental car and told me I could return it to any enterprise rent a car.

I called enterprise and they will charge an additional $50 if I don't return it to the San Diego Airport.

I've called 1(800) pep-boys but the line disconnects.

(4 times)

Finally got through to the complaint division and spoke with Andrea. I explained everything and they re-opened the case I filed back on Dec 23rd 2009.

Fontana Store $400

Burbank Store $3,195.62

Taxi $50

Hotel $88.09

Car Rental $61.06 (2 days)

Prepaid fuel $73.80

Insurance $12.00 (2 days)

Total spent $3,880.57 and I still don't have a car and am paying per day for a rental car.

Comments

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Frank P

Erin have you made any progress?

I'm in a very similar situation with them and am heading (via rental car) to the courthouse today to initiate a small claims case. I have NEVER worked with such an awful company.

I didn't have a choice but to go with them as my car initially broke down on the fourth of July.

Today is the 22nd of July and I still have no car and the bill is just racking up. How many "bad" fuel pumps and fuel injectors can one company put in your car and still call it a "fluke?"

I am having trouble with them now. Thinking of small claims court. Anyone got any other ideas??

lemon...