1.7
Service Scheduling
Turnaround Time

I was trying to find an honest garage for my vehicle because I am getting to an age now where I do not want to keep having to DIY mechanical problems, and I made the mistake of settling on Pep Boys....

I had them do their free check of the A/C system, and they came back that there was a refrigerant leak somewhere, and they would need top do a paid diagnostic to find the leak. So, I told them to go ahead and do the diagnostic, and they came back telling me that I needed a new compressor (the most expensive possible problem), and that I was looking at around $1300.

I felt like that was a bit steep for an air conditioner, so I went to Aamco, and got a similar free check on the vehicle, which came back that my compressor was working fine, but that there was a lowered amount of refrigerant in the system that they would need to locate. Aamco decided to do what they call an A/C System Refresh, which includes a full system flush, and refill with UV dye to find the leak, which they claim was minute, all for around $150. I decided to go this route, as I wanted a garage that actually did work on the vehicle, and did not just leave it parked outside, and choose the most costly repair available.

This all leaves me wondering how many people have trusted the Pep Boys service center, and got royally screwed over. There was nothing wrong with the compressor at all, and they decided that it needed to be replaced somehow. Well, I know how, they looked at how much they could charge for that, and their decision was made.

Be Careful, and stay away from this garage, they are criminals!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Pep Boys Car Diagnostics.

Reason of review: purposely lied to..

Preferred solution: Honest explanation of what happened.....

I liked: Uber service they provide during vehicle work.

I didn't like: Claims of false mechanical problems to increase costs.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 13.

Comments

h.kitchener

Scams in the auto repair industry have been going on for decades, ever since the first Model T came chugging out of Henry Ford's small garage. People go to places like Pep Boys because they are ubiquitous--they are everywhere.

Most people know little, if anything about how a car operates or what maintenance needs to be done. They pawn their car off to a place that claims to know what the problem is and how to fix it for you---at a price. It's easier to pay someone else than to bother taking the time to see if you can do it yourself. After all, actually doing something yourself cuts into your precious time on the smartphone.

There are many local, small repair places that you can take your vehicle to when a potential problem arises.

In order to find them ask your friends, relatives, etc. for recommendations based on their experiences.